Friday 25  August 1916
Pte Wilfred Berry Idle Wounded
L Cpl Alfred Helliwell Eccleshill Wounded
Pte J B Hopkinson Eccleshill wounded
Pte Walter Nicholson Shipley Distinction
Pte Maurice Bartle Thackley Wounded
Pte John Brown Windhill Killed
With only six men featured in the gallery of casualties from the front, this week, the paper reverted it its more normal coverage of military affairs.
Although the caption against his photo in this week’s gallery gave 27- year-old L Cpl Alfred Helliwell as wounded, elsewhere in the paper it was revealed that he was in fact dead. The news came as an especially heavy blow to his family for they were still mourning his brother Robert who had been killed by a sniper six weeks before. Private Brocklehurst wrote to Alfred’s father, police sergeant John Helliwell, at the family home at Eccleshill police station, saying: “I am awfully sorry to inform you that your son Alfred has been killed and I tender you my deepest sympathy in this your second loss within a few weeks. “I was friendly with your son Bob but
in Alfred I have lost one of my best pals. We were together yesterday afternoon laughing and joking and he went back to his company about 4 p.m. Heavily shelled “Later in the evening we were rather heavily shelled and one dropped in the midst of Alfred and his section, killing four and wounding three others. Your son was killed instantly and so would suffer no pain.” The family also received a letter from Rev R Whincup, vicar of Windhill, who was serving as chaplain at the front. After repeating the circumstances of the death, he added: “I went up to the trenches this evening and Captain
Oddy took me to see the place where your son was killed and showed me the grave which is not very far from the spot where your dear boy fell. “I conducted the burial service. I will endeavour to have a cross with a suitable inscription erected over the grave. “We shall miss your son very much indeed because he was very well known in the battalion. Personally I saw a great deal of him because he was connected with the headquarters staff and he treated me with ever courtesy and kindness whenever I asked him to do anything for me. “I am deeply sorry for you and your family. Your son nobly responded to the call of duty ad he has died fighting on behalf of his country.”
Eccleshill family lose second son in six weeks
Few people have greater reason for feeling proud than Mr and Mrs Albert Hart of 11 Briggate, Windhill. Mr Hart is well known in the district. For some time he has acted as the verger at the Windhill Parish Church. Three sons are serving with the Colours, two of whom have been wounded and at the present time one is at home on convalescent leave. Pte Lawrence Hart is in the 1-4th Seaforth Highlanders and has been wounded on two occasions. He came home last week and has to report himself again for service on Monday. Pte Charlie Hart is in the King’s Own Yorkshire Light Infantry. He was married last Easter before going on active service. He took part in the advance at Loos and came through without a scratch but was wounded in January of this year. Motor cycle racer Prior to the war he held a reputation as a motor cycle racer and on the ordinary bicycle won many prizes at the local butchers’ sports. For motor cycling he holds two gold, two silver and two bronze medals. Formerly he was employed as a mechanic. Alfred Hart is a smart wireless operator on board HM trawler Martin II which is at the present time somewhere in the North Sea. Before joining the navy he took a great interest in the Boy Scout movement and for some time was assistant scoutmaster attached to the Windhill Parish Church troop of scouts. He has the great distinction of being the holder of the King’s Scout Badge. He has been the recipient of many prizes for swimming and diving at which he was adept. He is also a good walker. Mrs Hart has three brothers serving, eight nephews, two brothers-in-law and a host of cousins.
Albert Hart
Mrs Hart
Charlie Hart
Lawrence Hart
Alfred Hart
Windhill family for King and Country
Second Lieutenant R F Woodroofe (right), York and Lancaster Regt., son of Dr Woodroofe of Eccleshill, was in hospital in London. Lieut Woodroofe took part in the British offensive for eight days in July and contracting carbuncle was sent into hospital. He underwent one operation before leaving France and since he arrive in London he has been operated on five times for blood poisoning of the leg which he contracted in the trenches.
Six operations after contracting blood poisoning at Somme
Quiet khaki wedding
The marriage took place on Saturday by special licence at Shipley Parish Church of Gunner F Bramma, Royal Garrison Artillery and son of Mr and Mrs Charles Bramma, Shipley, to Miss Annie Wright, daughter of Mr and Mrs C Wright of Lincoln and sister of Miss Wright of 98 Saltaire Road, Shipley. The ceremony was of a very quiet nature. The bridegroom is at present stationed at Woolwich and is shortly expecting to go the front. He has served ten months in the army and only came back on Saturday morning for the wedding, returning to his military duties on Tuesday afternoon. Prior to the war he was an attendant at the Menston Asylum.
News has been received from the War Office by Mr and Mrs George H Douglas of Kirkgate, Shipley, that their eldest son, Lieut Alex Gawman (Guy) Douglas was killed in action on August 15th. Lieut Douglas had had an educational career of exceptional success and had won the greatest respect and affection.  He had both a Salt Scholarship and a West Riding County Major Scholarship at the Bradford Grammar School, and went to Oxford as Hastings Mathematical Exhibitioner and Honorary scholar of Queen’s College. He was a member of the Officer’s Training Corps at Oxford and on the outbreak of war applied for a commission which he obtained in July last year. He was promoted lieutenant in June last, on his 21st birthday and was attached to the Leicestershire Regt. A younger son of Mr Douglas, Pte Archie Douglas, who is not yet 19 years of age, has been in the Aegean for a year, being with the Sick Berth Reserve attached to the Royal Naval Air Service.
Death of a scholar
By this stage of the ‘Big Push’     back-up troops were arriving in France to replace the thousands who had died. Two letters from Shipley soldiers reflect the optimism they felt in joining the fray. Writing to a friend from the front, Gunner Ernest Dixon said: ‘The other day I had my first experience of the trenches. I was one of a fatigue party from our battalion. Sprung mattresses ‘It was in the part recently taken from the Germans. On reaching the front line trench we came across some of their dugouts and made a tour of inspection. ‘We descended some 20 steps to the first landing and here we found beds with sprung mattresses. On the next landing below were some more beds, so you will understand from this how well they had dug themselves in. ‘The sides, floors and ceilings were covered with floor boarding and planks. There was also an emergency exit but by all accounts, the lads in khaki did not give them chance to
make use of either way out except at the point of the bayonet. ‘At one place we were within twenty yards of the German trench. It was a sight worth seeing what destruction had been caused by our artillery. Shells kept bursting in front of us, throwing up huge clouds of earth. ‘One place we passed was more like an old deserted quarry so great had been the havoc of the shells. I am glad I am still in the land of the living and in the pink.’ Police constable Craven, who was formerly stationed at Shipley, was now doing his ‘bit’ in France although he had yet to reach the front line. Lovely voyage In a letter to a former colleague he said: ‘We had a lovely voyage across the Channel. The sea was very calm and the weather brilliant. ‘The country out here seems to be pretty fine. Shortly, I dare say, we shall be moving further up the country and getting nearer to the Huns. You know these people will have to be whacked and believe me we are the stuff to do it.’
Taking their place on the front line
L Cpl William George Simpson, West Yorkshire Regt., son of Mr John Simpson of Thorpe Cottage, Idle, has received another distinction, having been awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal. He is the holder of the Military Medal. L Cpl Simpson was educated at Church School and the Bradford Grammar School and was formerly employed in the offices of the Brad- ford Dyers’ association. He enlisted 18 months ago at the age of 16.
Second medal for L Cpl Simpson
Certificate of Merit
The Military Certificate of Merit for gallantry and devotion to duty in taking part in a dangerous raid at the Front in France on the night of June 29th, had been secured by Pte H Atkinson, 18th West Yorks., whose home is at 15 Albert St., Saltaire.
Mrs Preston, the wife of the late Cpl William Henry Preston of 17 Cowling Road, Shipley, received a letter from an officer in her husband’s company, following his death at the Somme, aged 41. “I am afraid you will have heard by now of your husband’s death. He was killed while we were taking some German trenches. I am only sorry that he was not with us long enough to share in the success of the battalion. “As you know, he had not been out here long but we all admired him for the way in which he stuck to everything he undertook. He performed his duties far better than many younger men do “Though one could see that he sometimes suffered, he never uttered a word of complaint. You have every reason to be proud of him and of the sacrifice he has made for his King and Country. We deeply sympathise with you in your great loss.”
Performed better than many younger men do
Pte Alfred Jowett, a member of the Duke of Wellington’s Regt, wrote from the front line to his parents at Hampton Place, Idle, to say: “Please tell them all to keep smiling. “There’s nothing to be downhearted about. This war can’t last forever; in fact I think it will finish this year. “The Germans seem to be getting wiped out but shooting is too good for the Kaiser. He deserves whatever happens to him. We should give him his desserts in we lay hands on him.” Concluding, Pte Jowett says he is anxious to do his bit for King and country and would rather stay and help out in the war than come and spend his time in peace and quiet at home.
This war can’t last forever
PRIMITIVE METHODIST CHURCH SALTAIRE ROAD, SHIPLEY SUNDAY 27TH AUGUST, 1916 A MEMORIAL SERVICE Will be held at 10.30 a.m. In memory of the late LANCE-CORPORAL HUSTWIT PRIVATE E WILSON PRIVATE HORSFALL The Shipley Volunteers and the Boys Scouts will be in attendance Preacher - Rev Henry Taylor Service 6 p.m. Preacher - Mr Jno S Whitty
Home Page Home Page Home Page Shipley Times & Express base page Shipley Times & Express base page Shipley Times & Express base page Read more about 25 August 1916 Read more about 25 August 1916 Read more about 25 August 1916