Friday 15 September 1916
Double agony for Windhill family
Pte George Fuller (left), West Yorks, son of Mr and Mrs Ben Fuller, 5 Holdsworth Street, Windhill Crag, has been missing since July 1st. He entered the army about fourteen months ago. He was formerly employed by the Charlestown Woolcombing Company. His brother, L Cpl Raistrick Fuller (right), West Yorks, was killed on the 14th August. Writing to the deceased hero’s mother, the Rev R Whincup says: “He was killed in the trenches on Monday night, Aug 14th. I hear that your son was killed instantly and so we may be thankful that he did not suffer any pain. I always think that it must be a great relief to know that the death of our dear ones is painless. “Capt Oddy, the officer in command of your son’s company, took me to the place where your son was killed. I went there next morning; the Sgt Major pointed out to me the spot where your son’s grave was and I said a short burial service. “L Cpl A Helliwell, of Eccleshill, who was killed at the same time, is buried in the same place, with your son. “The trench mortar fell right in the midst of several men, killing five of them. I will try to have a cross erected with a suitable inscription over your son’s grave. “I am so very sorry for you in your great trouble. Seeing that your son came from Windhill, naturally we had talks with each other at times and your boy seemed to so pleased to have a conversation regarding things at Windhill. “Your boy has done his duty splendidly out here and he has died a very honourable death fighting on behalf of his country.”
On being discharged from the army Pte S H Neal, a native of Baildon, went to live with his sister, Mrs George Parker, at 11 Dale St, Hargreaves Square. Her husband had been killed on 5 September 1915 and the two men were among nine from the two families who had volunteered for service. Pte Neal had served for 17 years and as a reservist was among the first called up at the start of the war and had taken part in the retreat from Mons. Shot He had been twice wounded, shot in the shoulder at Neuve Chapelle, after which he was only in hospital for ten days. Then, during a bayonet charge at Hill 60, he was hit by a bullet which blew away part of his jaw and confined him to hospital for eleven months with a further four months in a convalescent home. Pte Neale had two brothers in the army. One of them had been wounded and was now in a convalescent home at Clipstone. He had also had a brother-in-law and a nephew killed.
The battle is over for twice-wounded soldier
The continuing toll of the Battle of the Somme
While there were fewer dramatic galleries of men killed, missing and wounded from the battle still raging on the Somme, each week brought news of more casualties. Pte Walter Haste, West Yorks Regt, son of Mrs Haste of 24 Woodbine Terrace, Idle, has been killed in action. He was 22 years of age and it is about a year since he joined. The Rev R Whincup says in a letter to Mrs Haste: “You son has died a noble death on behalf of our dear country and now we can only leave him in the hands of God.” Gunner Arthur Percival Jennings  of 82 Mount Avenue, Eccleshill and formerly of Idle, has been killed after serving 12 months in France with the Royal Field Artillery. In a letter to Mrs Jennings, Major Osborn says: “It is with the deepest regret that I write to inform you that your husband died early in the morning of August 30th. He was badly wounded by a shell bursting near him the evening before. “The boys got him away quickly to the dressing station and we hoped very much that his life might be spared. It was not to be however and he passed away without pain early next morning. “His wound was a severe one but his pluck was wonderful. He had not been very long with our battery but
long enough for us to feel his loss greatly. “Will you please accept not only my own but the sincere sympathy of every officer and man in his battery? He died like Nelson, doing his duty for his country.” Gunner Jennings was 27 years of age and was the eldest son of Mr and Mrs Arthur E Jennings, late of Cavendish House, Idle. He was formerly employed by Messrs Malcolm Graeme & Co, wool merchants, Bradford. He leaves a widow and one child. Pte John Stamp, 27 Mount Avenue, Eccleshill, has been wounded while fighting with the West Yorks Regt. He has been in France six months and had successfully passed through three previous engagements.
Writing of the engagement in which he was wounded he says: “Only I and the sergeant got back out of our platoon so we had it rough. The German trenches were filled with dead bodies but I shall be able to tell you more about the battle when I see you.” Pte Stamp while in training at Clipstone Camp proved himself to be one of the crack shots of the regiment. Pte Willie Waite of 57 Mount Avenue was killed on Friday morning, August 24th while on sentry duty. A shell burst behind him and a piece killed him on the spot. He was with the 23rd Manchester Regt and had only been in France six weeks. He was the only son and was associated with the Congregational Sunday School.
Pte Walter Haste
Gunner Arthur Jennings
Pte John Stamp
Pte Reuben Lupton, whose wife resides at Mount Pleasant, Brunswick Road, Greengates has been seriously wounded in France. Pte Lupton is in the West Yorkshire Regiment which he joined 12 month ago. He had been at the front about three months. He is well known and popular in the village and the news of his wounds will be widely regretted. He was formerly a playing member of the Apperley Bridge Rugby Football Club. The first intimation that he had been wounded was received in a letter from a comrade of Pte Lupton’s last Saturday morning. The Chaplain, writing to Mrs Lupton, said that Pte Lupton had asked him to write in order to allay his wife’s anxiety. He was hit in the back and was brought into the hospital some miles behind the firing line. He is being well cared for. Penetrating wound A letter received on Wednesday morning from the matron of the hospital said: “Your husband has been wounded and has been admitted here suffering from a penetrating wound in the chest. His condition is considered serious. We are very anxious about him. We will let you know daily how he is. He slept fairly well last night. “ Yesterday morning (Thursday) a postcard was received from the Hayley Road Military Hospital, York, saying that Pte Lupton had been admitted to one of the wards.
Popular rugby player wounded
Gunner Irving Fynn (above), Royal Field Artillery, enlisted about a year ago and he has proved an exceedingly smart soldier. He has now been in France for some considerable time and has had some exciting experiences. He has had many narrow escapes and was recently slightly wounded in the hand. Before the outbreak of war Gunner Fynn was in the employ of Capt E W Pearson.
Smart soldier wounded
Sgt Sam Turner (above), son of Mr and Mrs Jeremiah Turner of Rosemount, Bradford Road, Idle, paid a short visit home during the weekend and he was accorded a hearty reception by his many friends. Sgt Turner went to Australia a few years ago with a view to engaging in agricultural pursuits but when war broke out the call to do his duty for the Motherland was too strong for him and he immediately joined the Forces at the Antipodes. He fought on the Gallipoli Peninsula and also in France where he took part in the ‘Big Push.’ He is one of the few Australians who have been chosen to train as officers and with that purpose in view he is now studying at Cambridge.
Local ‘Aussie’ on brief leave before studying
Writing from the 48th General Hospital, France, Pte Abram Atkinson, RAMC, of 50 Croft St, Idle, says: “The Bradford Lads have caught it pretty hot of late and unfortunately they are not the only ones who have had to suffer heavily. “You would be surprised if you could see some of the work of modern surgery for surgical work at the present time is a marvel. “It would be practically impossible to believe it had one not seen it in operation. There are some very clever surgeons out here. “After our long hours of duty and the long time we have served out here, we just feel at times as if a few day’s rest in the Old Country would do us a world of good.”
Surgeons doing wonders with the wounded men
Concern over government  handling of army ‘lunatics’
Mr Jonathan Peate, chairman, presided at the fortnightly meeting of the Wharfedale Board of Guardians on Friday. Baildon was represented by Mr Denby and Mr Thompson Hammond. A communication was read from the Plymouth Union pointing out that since the outbreak of war a number of lunatic soldiers and sailors had been transferred to asylums and as it was highly improbable that more than a small percentage of them would have become lunatics but for the strain and stress of war, it was considered that their maintenance should be a national and not a local charge. Pauper lunatics It was undesirable that men whose mental faculties had become impaired through the war should become pauper lunatics. Dr Hebblethwaite (Burley) also spoke in support and said it was a disgrace that any government official should ever have suggested that soldiers should be treated in workhouses. There were plenty of other suitable places where they could be dealt with. The chairman gave a comparative statement of expenditure in pre-war times and at present. In 1914 the average number of inmates per week was 113 at a cost of 5s 10d per head; in 1916 128 at a cost of 6s 10d per head. In 1914 the number of lunatics was 120, at a cost of 10s 3d per week; in 1916 118 at an average cost of 11s 10d per head. The aggregate increase reached £429. It was decided to make a call of 4d in the £ the same as for the past half year.
Home Page Home Page Home Page Shipley Times & Express base page Shipley Times & Express base page Shipley Times & Express base page Read more about 15 September 1916 Read more about 15 September 1916 Read more about 15 September 1916