Friday 19 January 1917
Home Page Home Page Home Page Shipley Times & Express base page Shipley Times & Express base page Shipley Times & Express base page
The photograph is of Mrs G Smith of Melbourne, Australia, daughter of Mr J Hollas of The Grove, Idle. She is well known amongst the younger generation at Idle where for some years she was a teacher at the Council School. She is an exceedingly clever young lady and although we are forbidden to say much on that score, we cannot refrain from saying that in those subjects in which she specialised, she was regarded as the ideal teacher. About four years ago she went to Australia to be married.
Idle teacher settled to life Down Under
An inquest was held at the Carnegie Library, Windhill, on Wednesday. Concerning the death of Emmanuel Smith (75) a labourer of 1 Dock Lane, Windhill, who died on Saturday night. The deceased was employed at the Bradford Corporation Sewage Works at Frizinghall and the previous day was found floating on the surface of the water in a sludge rain pit. Herbert Smith, son of the deceased, said his father was a widower and had not been subject to dizziness. He did not intimate to the witness whether he had slipped into the pit or not. Splash Harry Rushbrook, 18 Bolton Hall Road, Bradford, engine man at the works, spoke to hearing a splash followed by a gurgling noise and on looking round he saw the deceased in the water. A ladder was obtained and when deceased was got out he was given a hot bath, a change of clothing and sent home in a taxi cab. There were some planks over the pit but it was unusual for men to walk
that way. Witness was of the opinion the deceased had walked off the side of the pit owing to his failing eyesight. Squire Gibson, 2 Rose Terrace, Valley Road, Shipley, foreman at the works, said it was rather dark at the place where the accident occurred. Deceased was conscious and told witness that he had been seeking to attain a key to open the dining room door. Dr Anderson said he was called to see the deceased on Friday afternoon and found him in a state of collapse. He complained of pain in the chest. In the evening he was rather worse and the next day became unconscious. Inhaled Deceased had inhaled some of the irritating fluid in the tank and was suffering from shock. The cause of death was congestion of the lung accelerated by the shock of the immersion. The obnoxious fluid and the inhalation would no doubt irritate the lung and cause the congestion.
It was stated that the pit in which the deceased was found contained stale sewage. The deputy coroner, Mr E W Norris, said the men at the works acted with great promptitude in getting the deceased a bath and a change of clothing. Their conduct was to be highly commended. Faithful servant The jury returned a verdict of accidental death and the foreman said they wished to associate themselves with the remarks of the coroner as to the manner in which the men at the works acted in assisting the deceased. Mr Joseph Garfield, sewage engineer to Bradford Corporation, said that on behalf of the Sewage Committee and himself he wished to express sincere regret at the accident. The deceased had been a faithful servant of the Corporation over 41 years and had always attended his work regularly. He was often advised to stay at home but preferred to go to his work.
Labourer (75) dies after falling in sludge pit
An accident of a serious nature befell 12-year-old son Thomas Pollard of Lower Holme, Woodbottom, on Thursday afternoon. The boy was following his employment as a half-time mill operative at the works of Messrs C F Taylor & Co, Lower Holme, Woodbottom, when by some means he became fast in the hoist. Thigh fractured He had been there a short time before he was able to draw anyone’s attention or to receive assistance in extricating himself from his perilous position. When a small part of the hoist had been cut way and the unfortunate boy was examined it was found that he was suffering from a badly crushed leg, the thigh of which was fractured. After receiving attendance he was conveyed to the Saltaire Infirmary. He is reported to be progressing satisfactorily.
Boy’s leg crushed in mill accident
Writing in the Eccleshill Parish Magazine, the Rev R B McKee said: “No one can say that the Church services are as well attended as they ought to be. “This lack of attendance can only mean lack of appreciation which is a very sad and depressing fact in these times when we all need God’s help to ‘carry on’ in a world full of anxieties and sorrows. 2,970 coins “I appeal therefore, to each and all to come regularly to the House of God.” The offertories for the month of December consisted of 2,970 coins which made a total of £31 16s 9d. The number of communicants was 280.
Vicar appeals to absent congregation
At a meeting of Baildon District Council, Cllr Fred Holmes said he would like to draw the attention of members to what was a great public nuisance. He referred to the Mechanic’s clock, which was nearly always ten minutes wrong. Since Sunday up to that evening the hands had been pointing to 3.30. The clock belonged to the council and the man who was supposed to look after it ought to be ashamed of himself. He could always get the proper time if he called in at the post office but there were a large number of travellers to Baildon and they could never tell what the right time was. Handicapped They were sufficiently handicapped as it was with the train service without adding to the difficulties of the public. It was a standing disgrace to the village and it was time the council made an alteration. There was certainly another clock in the village and even that was not very regular. He referred to the Parish Church clock which certainly kept better time than the Mechanics clock. If the man employed to look after the clock would not carry out his obligations they should get somebody else who would. The chairman thought that the publicity that would follow in the press would probably bring about an improvement. The clerk revealed that the man was paid £1 a year to look after the clock and when Cllr Holmes said he thought that was plenty, Cllr Whittaker responded: “You would not wind it up for £5 a year.”
Mechanic’s clock is a disgrace to the village
Rev H A Moreton, the curate in charge of Windhill church in the absence at the front of Rev Whincup, has had so much work to do during the past year that he has found systematic visiting quite out of the question. But he would be very glad if any who wish him to visit them would acquaint him of the fact by placing their name and address in the box which is to be placed in the Church porch for that purpose.
Stand-in vicar straining under a heavy workload
Poultry enthusiasts come together
The Eccleshill and District Poultry Keepers’ Association  was formed recently and the secretary is Mr Roland R Cole of 17 Leeds Road, Eccleshill, and formerly of Idle. Mr Cole and few friends sent out a circular letter to people they thought would be interested. The result was a good meeting, the formation of a sound society, followed by a successful show. The society has recently held a show and the 517 exhibits were afterwards sent to hospitals for consumption by wounded soldiers. But the society has done more than that. At the meetings information has been discussed concerning the difficulties that are met by the amateur keeper of poultry in a small way. The members of the society have also paid a visit to the County Council experimental farm at Garforth and learned a good deal of intensive and super-intensive culture.
Whilst steeping clothes in a copper boiler on Tuesday night, a young mill girl named Mabel Colley (17) was seriously burnt through her clothes catching fire in the flames of the stove underneath the boiler. The girl, who was lodging with Mr and Mrs Harris at 154 New Line, Greengates came home from work at Dyehouse Mills, Apperley Bridge, on Tuesday evening in the best of spirits and after tea helped Mrs Harris with the washing. Greasy apron She was wearing a greasy mill apron and this became ignited. The girl became excited and though Mrs Harris tried to keep her indoors and smother the flames, the girl ran out into the backyard screaming “Oh, my God.” It was pitch dark and the spectacle of the girl rushing about on fire was terrorising. Mr Robertshaw, a next- door neighbour, assisted by another man, caught the girl and extinguished the flames by wrapping her in wet sacks. She was terribly burnt about the body, arms and legs and her condition is most serious. She has been taken to Bradford Infirmary.
Mill girl badly burned while doing the washing
Read more about 19 January 1917 Read more about 19 January 1917 Read more about 19 January 1917