Friday 16 November 1917
Home Page Home Page Home Page Shipley Times & Express base page Shipley Times & Express base page Shipley Times & Express base page
FROM THE FRONT LINE Mrs Simpson of Green Lane, Baildon, has received a letter from Sgt T Constable about the death of Pte J W Duckworth. “I’m sorry for Mrs Duckworth but she will have to bear up. It cannot be helped “He was a brave lad and well liked. When he was a working he was always saying ‘we shall get a blighty today’ and he never ducked his head for shells. “If anyone was wanted to go over the top to fetch wounded in, he was one of the first. He really ought to have had a DCM and he would have, had he lived. “He was wounded in twelve places from the knees upwards but was quite cheerful and died at the base hospital. Baildon has lost one of its bravest lads.” Pte Victor Hillam of 40 Institute Road, Eccleshill, and of the Duke of Wellington’s Regt, is ill in hospital at Newcastle suffering from shell shock and pneumonia. He has been in France for four months and was  formerly employed by Mr Mark Green, hairdresser, Stoney Lane. Cpl Sydney Hey, R.F.A. of 10 Robert Street, Windhill, has been wounded in the shoulder and is in hospital at Southampton. He has been in the army nearly three years and has served over two years in France. Before joining the forces he was a moulder in the employ of Hodgson, Frizinghall. He is married and has two children. Lieut Denton Stansfield, son of Mr and Mrs J F Stansfield of Bourne Cottage, Thackley, has been awarded the Military Cross for gallantry in action and devotion to duty in the operations which resulted in the capture of the Passchendaele Ridge. Pte M McMann of 10 Adelaide Street, Woodbottom, Baildon, is in hospital in France with trench feet. He has served in France for twelve months. Pte James Edward Pedley of Hampton Place, Idle, who was wounded some time ago is home on sick leave and he is to rejoin his regiment on Monday next. For 13 months he has been in France with the Northumberland Fusiliers and has seen much fighting. As a stretcher bearer, he was with the troops who made the attack on Passchendaele Ridge on October 2nd and on that occasion he was wounded. For his bravery he has been recommended for the D.C.M. He thinks that as fighters, our men are far superior to the Huns. His brother, Pte David Pedley, Duke of Wellington’s, was wounded about a month ago but he is now back in the fighting line. Pte John Barker Milner of Westgate, Eccleshill and of the Duke of Wellington’s, has been wounded in the left foot and is now in Nottingham hospital. He was formerly employed by Booth & Oddy, quarry owners, Fagley Lane.
Deserted wife given maintenance
A Shipley woolcomber named George Bramley was summoned by his wife, Louisa Bramley, at the Skipton Petty Sessions on Saturday for desertion. The complainant, who resides in Waller Hill, Skipton, said that she married the defendant six or seven years ago at Keighley. Her husband was a violent- tempered man and on October 6th witness alleged that he threatened he would kill her within a week if she left him. Move nearer work On the Monday following, however, he left her and when taking his departure he told her that he would not see her anymore and would not pay her anything unless he was forced. Since then she had not received anything from him. The defendant said that prior to leaving his wife he had paid her 26s per week. He had asked her to live nearer his work but she refused and that was the reason he left her. The Bench granted the complainant a maintenance order for 20s per week.
Death of an exceptionally smart scholar, aged 7
An inquest was held on Friday on the body of John Thomas Haylock, the seven-year-old son of John William Haylock, a woolcomber living at 7 Huntley Street, Valley Road, Shipley. Mrs Haylock, the mother, said the deceased had been a healthy boy. She had never had any trouble with him and he had seemed in his usual health during the last few days. The witness went out cleaning and her husband’s mother got the children their meal during the day. When she saw him at eight o’clock deceased seemed all right and not at all flushed. Sarah Elizabeth Haylock, the child’s grandmother, said there had been no falling off in the child’s appetite. Hot tea He was brought home from school between 9.30 and 10 o’clock. He complained of feeling very cold and was shivering. The witness put him by the fire and gave him some hot tea but the lad threw it up. He did not want to go to bed and was allowed to lie on the sofa where he remained asleep until 11.30. Then he roused up and complained of a pain in his head. Witness sent all round for doctors but they were all out. When the boy’s mother came home at dinner time they
tried to rouse him up but could not do so. Witness lifted the child up and he died in her arms. The child’s mother telephoned all round for doctors but they were all out. A doctor arrived after the child had died. Another followed shortly afterwards. The Coroner: “Children do not always come straight from school, do they?” “Yes they do, they come home for cake.” Miss Laura Munn, 9 Norwood Avenue, a teacher at the Cragg Road Council Schools, said that at nine o’clock in the morning the boy seemed all right. Upon her return from taking the register to the headmaster’s desk, she found that the deceased had been sick on the desk and on the floor. He seemed very white and shivering. He did not complain of a headache and witness though it was an ordinary bilious attack. She sent him outside into the open air and the lad went
home on his own account. When she went outside to see how he was going on, he had disappeared. He seemed quite all right on the previous day. She noticed that he had wet clothes. Most of the children came with wet clothes in rainy weather and during the last week or two the children in her class had had wet feet. Enlarged gland Dr Bonner: “There was no blood in the vomit. Neither was there any difficulty in breathing.” Witness always sent the children home when they appeared ill. The boy was an exceptionally smart scholar. Dr Bonner said that as a result of a post-mortem examination he found that both lungs showed signs of commencing bronchial pneumonia accelerated by enlarged thymus gland. There was no means during life of detecting that a person possessed these enlarged glands. Anyone of them might have them. The jury found that death was due to natural causes and the coroner remarked that there could not be found a worse time to get a doctor than between the hours of ten and three.
“She noticed that he had wet clothes. Most of the children came with wet clothes in rainy weather and during the last week or two the children in her class had had wet feet.”
Mr Harry Greenfield, the first Labour man in Shipley to be appointed on the Commission of the Peace, was fittingly honoured on Friday evening by his comrades in the Labour movement. Many eloquent tributes were paid to him and those who are conversant with what he has done in the interests of the workers – to whom he is proud to belong – realise that he is thoroughly deserving of all that was said about him. Years of usefulness The Labour Party rightly believe in the principle of honouring their leaders while they are alive and although Mr Greenfield in his speech observed that ‘the presentation was an indication that his career was drawing to a close,’ his friends feel that there is ample justification  for believing he has yet many years of usefulness before him. It is characteristic of Mr Greenfield that he concluded his observations with declaring that he regarded his appointment to the magistracy as an honour conferred not upon himself as an individual but as the representative of the workers whose interests he has always endeavoured to serve.
Labour honour their first magistrate
Women must sieze the opportunity
Miss Salt, granddaughter of Sir Titus Salt, speaking at the Autumn Conference  of the Yorkshire Council of Women’s Liberal Association on Thursday, remarked that in a political sense she though they all felt they did not want to go back, even if they could, to the world as it was before the war. Politically the old world was full of mistakes. They had not troubled to know enough about what was going on in the world. The great lesson of the war was that they must gain more control over their destinies. The old order had gone for ever and as the old world lay in ruins about their feet they realised that to them came the great opportunity to rebuild on an infinitely better and surer foundation.
Women must realise the tremendously important time in which they came into their new responsibility. She wanted to put in a plea for independent thinking. Let each have firm convictions rooted on their own belief. The vote The times were far too serious for the old catchwords and the old shibboleths to catch anybody. They must see to it that they got the reality. The vote was not only the sign and symbol of citizenship but also an effective weapon for good or for evil. Let them go out to meet the great opportunity in a dedicated spirit for the services of humanity.
More Priestley Cup cash to go to clubs
Gunner acts as M.C.
A patriotic dance promoted by a number of Baildon Green young ladies with the object of raising funds for the Baildon Green stall at the bazaar to be held shortly in aid of Baildon Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Comforts Fund, was held in the Golf Club on Saturday evening. The event proved highly satisfactory judging by the number of persons who participated in the enjoyment of the waltzes etc whilst the duties of the pianist were efficiently carried out by Mrs Musgrave and Gunner Jennings, a Baildon Green soldier of the Tank Corps, home on leave, officiated as M.C. Refreshements were served by Mrs London.
A new method of distributing the receipts of the Priestley Charity Cup, which is competed for by the clubs in the Bradford Cricket League, has been decided upon. It will give clubs a more generous share of the proceeds. The scheme provides that 2½ per cent of the gross receipts of a match shall be paid to the club on whose ground the money is taken. In the semi-finals 10 per cent of the gross receipts shall be divided between the four competing clubs, the minimum per club being £6. In the final, 5 per cent shall be divided between the competing clubs, with a minimum of £7 per club. The price of admission to the semi- finals will be increased to £1.
Read more about 16 November 1917 Read more about 16 November 1917 Read more about 16 November 1917