Friday 23 November 1917
Home Page Home Page Home Page Shipley Times & Express base page Shipley Times & Express base page Shipley Times & Express base page
Left to right: Pte Ernest E Bell, Baildon, awarded Military Medal; Bmdr Melville E Wright, 94 Great Horton Road, Bradford, late of Saltaire, killed in action; Pte James Preston, 11 Pollard Buildings,
Green Lane, Idle, died of wounds; Pte John Pitts, Idle, killed; Pte F C Gee, 40 Hatfield Road, Undercliffe, wounded; Cpl S Hey, 10 Robert Street, Windhill, wounded; Pte Victor Hillam, 40 Institute
Road, Eccleshill, ill in hospital; Pte John B Milner, 9 Westgate, Eccleshill, wounded; Bmdr Harry Buckle, Bateson Street, Greengates.
Several local men were serving with the Legion of Frontiersmen in Africa where they were combatting disease as well as the enemy. Pte Charles Houlden, Frontiersmen’s Battn, 25th Royal Fusiliers and of 24 Fanny Street, Saltaire, who was invalided home in June, suffering from malaria and dysentery, has been certified medically unfit for the army and will be permanently discharged on 4th December. Rose Socity Before the war Pte Houlden was a well-known local horticulturalist. He was secretary of the Saltaire Men’s Own Horticultural Society and formerly on the committee of the Saltaire Rose Society. He has been in hospital at Stockton and is at present at Townley’s Military Hospital, Bolton, Lancs.
In a letter to the editor if the Express, Pte Houlden says he has been serving ‘among all the Shipley, Idle and Baildon lads’ and specially mentions W Cannan and ‘Bill’ Watmough. In a separate article we learn: Information has been received from German East Africa that Pte W Watmough of Fairfield, Thackley, (pictured) has been very seriously ill with dysentery which probably accounts to some extent for his parents not having heard from him for a considerable time. Scourges It appears that he was attacked by dysentery – one of the several scourges of German East Africa – on
23rd August while at an advanced, up-country position and was conveyed by different means to the hospital at Lindi, afterwards being sent by hospital ship to Dar-es-Salaam, from which place he communicated with his home. At that time – eight weeks ago – he was in the second South African General Hospital, the largest in East Africa – and was still very ill but was said to be improving. Pte Watmough has been in German East Africa for about 18 months with the Frontiersmen’s Battn of the Royal Fusiliers and along with many other men from this district, has seen much fighting in that country. Several times he has been down with malarial fever.
Frontiersmen battle disease as well as the enemy
L Cpl Tom Mann of 5 Delph Hill, Baildon, has been awarded the Military Medal. L Cpl Mann joined the Duke of Wellington’s Regt on 20th January 1915, and after training at Brockton, Staffordshire, went to France in May of the same year. Previous to joining the colours, he was employed at the mills of Robinson and Bairstow at Baildon. Lewis Gun Team Recently his mother received a letter in which he informed her that he had won distinction. The gallant deed is that ‘When No 1 of the Lewis Gun Team had become a casualty, he took over the gun and rallied the team under heavy fire. ‘On reaching the final objective, he stripped and cleaned the gun regardless of all danger and when the counter attack was launched by the enemy, by his complete control of the team did much to release the situation. All through the action he displayed great courage and coolness.’ L Cpl Mann is the tenth Baildon soldier to receive acknowledgement for some meritorious action
Tom wins Baildon’s tenth medal
The staff at the Salt’s Auxiliary War Hospital, Shipley, of which Miss Mitchell is matron, are anxious to do everything they can for the me who are suffering from shell-shock and the idea of providing these sad cases with such employment as will tend towards more complete cures has the whole-hearted support of the staff. Miss Mitchell attended the meeting of the Discharged Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Association on Monday, when it was decided to establish a Handicrafts Club for shell-shock cases and she is doing all she can to arouse interest in the work. When there are any cases of this kind at Shipley, ladies will come from Bradford to give them instruction. These men, we are told, can be cured if they can be got into hospitals such as are to be found in the Bradford
district and placed under medical men who have made a study of these cases. Mat making The medical men have come to the conclusion that the men need some interest to take their minds off their own condition and it is to be the aim of the Handicraft Club to provide the men with light occupations such as mat making, wood carving and netting. For these kinds of work finely adjusted movements are required and these may enable the men to find their old power returning to them. Naturally, everybody will be desirous of helping a grand work of this kind and when it has been got going it is to be hoped there will be no lack of financial support.
Handicrafts might help cure shell shock victims
Pte Harry Morris of the West Yorks Regt, whose home is at 19 Chapel Walk, Eccleshill, is reported missing since 3rd May. He is 19 years of age and had only been in France two months. He was formerly employed at Harper’s, Ravenscliffe Mills, Greengates. His brother James has been discharged from the army having served with the R.A.M.C.
Harry reported missing
Family’s double tragedy
The sympathy of a large circle will be extended to Mr and Mrs W Hindle of Carlton Villas, Clayton, in the double bereavement which they sustained last weekend. On Friday news came of the death of Mr Hindle’s brother, Mr Dracup Hindle, killed in Flanders, whilst on Sunday Mr Hindle’s only son – a boy of 13, full of promise – passed away.
Official information has been received that Pte Noble Metcalfe, 5 Mount Place, Shipley, was killed in action on 19th October. Pte Metcalfe was serving with the Scottish Fusiliers. He was 28 years of age and before the war was employed by Mr Fred Holdsworth,  painter, Saltaire Road. He was a single young man and lived at home with his mother. He was a member of the Shipley Working Men’s Club. He enlisted in May 1916 and after training in the North of England was drafted to France about 16 months ago. He was home on leave two months ago. Pte Metcalfe’s brother, Frank, who is 26 years old, is serving with the R.A.M.C. in Salonika. Before the war he was employed by Sir J A Godwin, then Lord Mayor of Bradford.  He is also single and lived at Mount Place. Cecil Proctor, step-brother of these soldiers, was second stoker on HMS Good Hope and lost his life when that vessel went down three years ago.
Shipley painter killed in action
Muffled toll for Ben
A muffled peal was rung on the bells at Idle Parish Church on Sunday morning in memory of Able-Seaman Benjamin Bottomley, eldest son of Mr and Mrs Henry Bottomley, who has laid down his life for this country. Before joining the Navy, Ben – as he was familiarly known to his numerous friends – was one of the bell ringers at the Parish Church and like his fellow ringers, took an unusual interest in campanology. He was a loveable lad, quiet and unostentatious, and his death is deeply deplored by all who knew him.
Sgt Kenneth Stuart Jackson, Artists’ Rifles, has been killed in action. He was the son of the late Mr Edward Steane Jackson, M.A. of Plymouth. Sgt Jackson, who was 31 years of age, was well-known in the Shipley district where he was for many years at the local branch of the London City and Midland Bank of which Mr R A Millington is manager. Conservative Club He was a member of the Shipley Golf Club, the Saltaire Hockey Club and the Frizinghall Conservative Club. In 1913 he was transferred to the head office of the bank in London and joined the colours in the first weeks of the war.
Sporting banker KIA
At the Eccleshill Wesleyan Chapel on Sunday night the Rev J Woollerton conducted a memorial service for Pte Harry Read who has been killed in action. Mr Woollerton said that Pte Read, possessing the gift of song, had for upwards of ten years given willingly and cheerfully of his best as a member of the choir. Proportionately large After calling attention to the proportionately large number from the Eccleshill district who had fallen in this war, an appeal was made for greater readiness to sacrifice on the part of those remaining at home. Tennyson’s “Crossing the Bar” was sung by the choir and a very impressive service was concluded by the playing of the Dead March in “Saul” by Mr H Kenyon Sagar.
Remembering chorister
Wounded for third time
Quiet khaki wedding
Pte John Medley of 6 Fletton Terrace, Undercliffe, has been wounded for the third time. He has received shrapnel wounds in the right leg, head and body and is now in Weybridge Hospital, Surrey. His previous wounds were both in the right arm and he has also had trench fever. In all he has served in France eight months.
The wedding was solemnised a week ago at St John’s Church, Wakefield, of Capt Hammond Harvey Gardner, 18th Canadians, second son of Mr Harry Gardner of Elm Hurst, Frizinghall and Miss Lilian Hawksworth, youngest daughter of the late Mr Henry Hawksworth of Wakefield. The wedding was very quiet owing to the recent death of the bridegroom’s brother, Lieut Willie Gardner. Capt Gardner was immediately after the ceremony obliged to return to his military duties in Staffordshire where he is for the present stationed.
Read more about 23 November 1917 Read more about 23 November 1917 Read more about 23 November 1917