Friday 2 February 1917
Home Page Home Page Home Page Shipley Times & Express base page Shipley Times & Express base page Shipley Times & Express base page
Pte Emmanuel Smith, only son of Mrs Smith, 34 Commercial Street, Shipley, is in hospital at Glasgow suffering from gun-shot wounds that resulted in a compound fracture of the left arm and injuries to legs and face. Pte Smith is 19 years of age and enlisted last June. He was employed on the Bradford Corporation Tramways and previously by Mr S Shepherd, butcher, of Briggate.
19 year old in hospital with multiple wounds
Sole surviving postman
Out of the three Idle postmen who have served their country in the war only one survives That is Sgt Albert Lumb, Springville Terrace, Idle. The two who have been killed in France are Pte Ernest Goodman and Pte Herbert Kilner. Sgt Lumb is at present at home from Malta on a month’s leave. He was called up as a reservist on the outbreak of war and is now a time- expired man. He has been in Malta 18 months and is expecting to return there.
Bringing with him the atmosphere of the trenches, Pte Sam Thornton, a one-time member of the printing staff of the Fanciers’ Newspaper and General Printing and Publishing Co, called on Tuesday morning at the ‘Express’ Office, Idle. Pte Thornton is home from the front, having been in France for about fifteen months. This is his first leave and he returns to France on Tuesday next. He joined the 2nd Life Guards in November 1914 when seventeen years of age. So far he has escaped injury.
First leave in 15 months
Official intimation has been received that Pte Walter Jordan, whose parents reside at 26 Bradford Road, Clayton, is now reported killed as from July 1st. Pte Jordan joined on of the West Yorkshire Regiments shortly after war was declared and after going through his training period was sent to Egypt and subsequently to France. He took part in the great offensive on July 1st and was subsequently posted as missing. Since then no news has been forthcoming regarding his whereabouts until this week when his mother received a letter from the War Office stating he must now be presumed as dead. Pte Jordan had already given evidence of courageous devotion to duty as a soldier and the news of his death will be greatly regretted.
Claytonian’s death at the Somme confirmed
Mr John Waterworth of 4 Stonehall Road, Eccleshill, received a telegram on Saturday as follows: “Regret to report that Pte Leslie Waterworth, West Yorkshire Regt, has been dangerously wounded and is at No 33 Casualty Clearing Station, France. No further particulars. Cannot be visited.” Pte Waterworth enlisted in the 1st Bradford Pals over two years ago and went to Egypt with the regiment and was wounded in the thigh on July 1st in the attack at Thiepval. He is 20 years of age and a respected scholar of the Congregational Sunday School.
‘Pal’ is dangerously wounded
Pte Willie Watmough of Idle who, before the war used to be a journalist on the Shipley Times & Express, regularly sent long reports of his experiences with the Frontiersmen in Africa. This extract, which demonstrates vividly how the war opened up the world for some of the soldiers, is about a trip to caves in German East Africa, modern Tanzania. An online search found no Caves of Sigihohlen but they would appear to be the Amboni Caves. It might interest you to know something about the Caves of Sigihohlen, a photo of which I sent you. Our scouts had found these caves one day when operating in the bush and so glowing was the account they brought back that several parties had visited the spot and all had returned loud in their praises. So one Sunday, having  day’s liberty, we started out, each fellow carrying a mess tin and a haversack containing jam, bread, meat, tea, coffee, tinned milk, sardines, sugar etc. On the way we obtained from a native, bananas and pineapple. As a result, we were obviously well provisioned. Gaudily coloured Wending our way through Tanga out into the hills and bush, we quickly passed through avenues of palm trees and cocoanuts, plantations of sisal, rubber, pineapple, banana etc. We saw many canaries and gaudily coloured birds. We disturbed land crabs as big as saucers which scuttered into their holes faster than any rabbit. We passed scores of natives coming from the hills into the place heavily laden with fruit etc. We left on our right a long-idle German tannery. At one point of the walk we saw a big-game hunting platform which did not appear to have been used for a long, long time.
At some distance from the platform was the post to which the ‘bait’ was tied. This is a common way of hunting the lion and other big game. The ‘gun’ sits on the platform and a goat is tied to the post. Poor ‘Billy’ or ‘Nanny’ becomes hungry. It bleats and the game comes out of the bush to make his kill. When it reaches the ‘bait’, if the marksmanship is good, there is another skin to adorn some English home. And so we tramped along. We were, of course, bathed in perspiration. It is good that it should be so. The man who cannot produce a sweat out here is sure to suffer, for it is in the perspiration that the impurities which one may glean in this not over healthy country, are washed away. Eventually we reached the much- talked-of Caves of Sigihohlen. Crystal clear A few yards from the caves there flowed a crystal-clear stream, jingling on its way to join the mighty Pangani. By the side of this beautiful stream – so refreshing and good to look upon in this torrid land – we made our little bivouac. We were in a very welcome shade. Large African trees threw their heavily-leaved branches across both stream and path. Vegetation most beautiful to see grew also on the face of the rock and assisted in making the grove cool and restful after the hot tramp over the hills. Gorgeous wild, tropical flowers grew at our feet – flowers which as the owner of a conservatory at home would rave about could he but produce them of such size and beauty. Butterflies, large and gaily coloured, flitted here and there and monkeys chattered in the trees.
One monkey we saw was very large. It was adorned with long, silky hair and had black and white markings. This kind of monkey is of a rare species and it is almost an impossibility to keep it alive in captivity for any length of time in English zoos. Al fresco lunch Here we made our fire, boiled the water and made tea and coffee. And then we ate and drank to our stomachs’ content.  Indeed many a more skilfully prepared, more tastefully served and expensive meal have been much less appreciated than was that simple al fresco lunch beneath the shadow of the gigantic Caves of Sigihohlen. Lunch over and pipes smoked, we commenced to explore the caves themselves. No better guide than Guy Hudson could have been found. He has had much experience with pot holing in the Dales. With a candle attached to a long, stout stick, one of which we each carried, he led the way. In some of the caves we were over an hour before we reached the terminus. Gigantic boulders to be negotiated, miniature ravines crossed and generally speaking, we imagined the experience something like Alpine climbing – on a small scale – in the dark! Beautiful stalactites hung down from the sides of the caverns. At times we found ourselves out in the open air on the top of the cave looking down the precipice on to the path hundreds of feet below. At other times we appeared to be descending to the bowels of the world, reminiscent of Jules Verne’s ‘Trip to the Centre of the Earth.’ Bats And all the time bats, hundreds and hundreds of them, flew above and round us. These bats were very large and some had wings the size of an average pigeon. Pleasant it was to come out into the open air again. Our exploration of the caves was followed by a refreshing bathe in that silvery little stream. The water was deliciously cool, degrees cooler than the sea, and we perfectly revelled in our wash. Thus refreshed we left for camp in the coolness which follows the setting of the sun in this ‘eccentric’ land. Feeling thirsty on the way back we knocked the tops off cocoanuts and drank the sweet milk which they contained.
“Beautiful stalactites hung down from the sides of the caverns. At times we found ourselves out in the open air on the top of the cave looking down the precipice on to the path hundreds of feet below.”
Time out to visit magical caves in Africa
By a house to house canvass; to bring the claims of the present WAR LOAN ISSUE before the residents of our District, are urged to meet as under: CENTRAL WARD In the Central Council Schools on Monday next, February 5th from 7 to 9 p.m. SOUTH AND WEST WARDS In the Social Rooms, Saltaire Institute, on Monday, February 5th from 7 to 9 p.m NORTH and EAST WARDS An information bureau will be open for Windhill at the Carnegie Hall from February 1st to Wednesday, February 7th, between 7.30 and 9 p.m where helpers can be enrolled and information as to the Loan obtained. HELPERS unable to attend these meetings may obtain all information at the Information Bureau, Council Office, Somerset House, Shipley.. Tel 340 H BARNES, Secretary
The vicar of Shipley, the Rev B Herklots, has begun half-time employment in a local engineering establishment where we now learn he is engaged in work of a semi-skilled nature, technically known as ‘scrapping.’ Like the other employees of the firm, he commences work at 6.15 a.m. and finishes at 12.30 each working day. Urgent calls As he is currently without a curate, the Rev F Beresford Hope,  vicar of St Peter’s Church, has agreed to attend to any urgent calls during the mornings and in so doing given evidence of his desire to do his ‘extra bit’ for King and country. Mr Herklots is quite enjoying his new ‘job’. “As I am working on parts of machines the future use of which I ought not to mention, but which are very much connected with the war, I feel that I am doing my bit,” he told us. “The conditions of work are distinctly pleasant, my mates are friendly, my job, though a little tedious at times, is not without interest, and I should be happy to recommend to anybody my workshop and my job.”
Early start for scrapping vicar
Read more about 2 February 1917 Read more about 2 February 1917 Read more about 2 February 1917