Friday 2 March 1917
Home Page Home Page Home Page Shipley Times & Express base page Shipley Times & Express base page Shipley Times & Express base page
Pte Joseph Barraclough of 71 Tong Park, Baildon, enlisted in the West Yorkshire Regiment in 1915. After training at Belle Vue barracks he was drafted to France in July. He has experienced much hard fighting and unfortunately was wounded on January 27th this year, receiving the worst wounds about his eyes. He is reported to be progressing favourably and is now an inmate of the Second War Hospital, Northfield, Birmingham.
Wounded about the eyes
Deep sympathy will be felt with Mrs Earnshaw of 52 Ashgrove, Greengates, in the loss she has sustained in the death of her youngest son, Albert Earnshaw of the Sherwood Foresters, who died in hospital in France on February 22nd from bronchitis Signaller Earnshaw who was 21 years of age, enlisted in February 1916, went to France on Christmas Day and was taken ill on the 10th February. He was very highly respected in the village and was connected with the Parish Church, being a former member of the choir and one of the bell-ringers He was also a scholar in the Sunday School He was a popular member of the Liberal Club and as a token of respect the flag at the club is hoisted at half-mast. He was an ardent lover of sport and played regularly with the Apperley Bridge AFC and other junior organisations. Weak and exhausted The news of Signaller Earnshaw’s death was conveyed in a letter from Sister Woodward who wrote: “I am sorry have to write to tell you that your son died last night soon after nine o’clock. He became much worse in the afternoon, soon after I had previously written to you, and died quietly in his sleep. He did not suffer any pain but he was very weak and exhausted. “He had been with us just a week and though he was very ill he hoped he might get over his illness but yesterday he became much worse and we knew there was no hope for him” Since the death of Signaller Earnshaw became known,  his mother has been the recipient of many messages of sympathy and condolence and we are asked to extend her thanks to those who have so kindly expressed their sympathy in her sad bereavement.
Bronchitis claims Greengates soldier
Local Frontiersmen with the Royal Fusiliers in German East Africa
From L-R standing: Guy Hudson, Walter Dyson, W Watmough. Sitting: W Cannan and J Meredith
Standing at extreme right of back row, Harold Muscroft. Sitting at extreme right of front row, David Peate. The names of the other men are not known
Mr William Gill of 26 Carr Wood Terrace, Greengates, is to be congratulated on the noble response made by the members of his family to the call of the King and Country. Mr Gill, who is a valuable worker associated with the Wesleyan Church, has three sons serving in the army, two of whom have been wounded whilst fighting in France. His eldest son, Pte Harry Gill, joined the army soon after the outbreak of the war. He is 22 years of age and is in the Yorkshire Regiment. He had been in the firing line about 18 months when he received his wounds. Before joining he was connected with the Wesleyan Young Men’s Class and was a popular member of the Wesleyan AFC.
Mr Gill’s second son, Pte Edwin Gill, joined up some 15 months ago and after 12 months training went to the front. He was wounded about a fortnight ago in both legs and is now in a Glasgow military hospital. Formerly of Idle He is 20 years of age and prior to joining attended the Wesleyan Sunday School A third son, Pte Walter Gill, is 19 years of age and enlisted about a month ago. Before coming to live at Greengates, Mr Gill resided at Idle where he is highly respected and kindly remembered by many of the members of the congregation of the Wesleyan Church.
Right to be proud of three brothers in arms
The Rev C P Tinling, the pastor of Upper Chapel, Idle, is well known in the neighbourhood as the “sporting parson.” He has for some weeks been serving his country by working on a farm at Fagley. He has received an invitation to go to France under the auspices of the YMCA and it is certain that when he gets there he will a great favourite with Tommy. He is an eloquent preacher and we feel sure that at the Front he will prove his worth.
Idle’s ‘sporting parson’ off to work in France
Gunner Frank Laycock, RFA,  of 2 Katherine Street, Saltaire, is reported to have been wounded.
Gunner wounded
Medal hero wounded
News arrived on Wednesday morning that Sec Lieut Frank Noddle, King’s Own Yorkshre Light Infantry, who resides at 14 Hall Royd, Shipley, is in hospital in France. Last year Lieut Noddle was awarded the Military Cross for conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty as bombing officer. “His courage, determination and resource,” said the official announcement, “were most invaluable and saved what might have been a most critical situation.” Some of the finest letters describing operations in France have come from the pen of this smart officer.
Pte Arthur Sutcliffe of New Street, Idle, is suffering from trench feet. He is now in the War Hospital at Greenock, Scotland. Prior to war breaking out he was employed by Chas Semon & Co, Bradford.
Trench feet victim
Fred Schofield, son of Police Inspector Schofield who formerly had charge of the Idle and Eccleshill section of the City Force and is now Chief Warrant Officer, has been made Colour-Sergeant. He is now in a home camp instructing the new recruits.
Fred promoted
Son home on leave
L Cpl William Rushworth, only son of the late Mr William Rushworth, for many years tenant of the Oddfellows Hall, Idle, and Mrs Rushworth, now of Kingston Road, Idle, has been home on leave. L Cpl Rushworth had formerly been in the Yorkshire Dragoons and when war broke out he at once enlisted in the 6th Lancashire Fusiliers. He was sent out to Egypt and subsequently went through the Gallipoli Campaign, being amongst the first to land. Later he was sent back to England suffering from sunstroke. He is now in the Black Watch.
Pte A Taylor of 40 Field Street, Shipley, is ill in hospital in Edinburgh. He is in the Duke of Wellington’s Regiment and had been at the front for about three months.
In Edinburgh hospital
Lieut Allen, RAMC, of Shipley, who is at King George V hospital in Dublin, writes that there are two Shipley lads in the Dublin Castle Red Cross Hospital – Pte Walker of Birr Street, and Pte Myers of Oastler Road. He adds he would like to hear from any local people who may have relatives in the military hospitals in the same town. On receiving word to that effect he will see that they are visited by friends of Lieut and Mrs Allen. Mrs Allen resides at 8 Marlborough Road and she will be pleased to communicate names of local lads to her husband.
Looking out for Shipley soldiers in Dublin
Spending Christmas in Africa
William Watmough, whose picture appears above, sent many articles about his life with the Frontiersmen, the latest including his Christmas experience: Walter Dyson and I strolled back down the main street of Dar-es-Salaam, the sun was shining down in a most un-Christmassy manner. We came back to where I was quartered and in the English style I asked my guest to have a bit of the Christmas cake I had had sent from home and which we ate with the greatest relish, not having tasted anything like it for nearly half a year. We washed our ‘bit of Christmas’ down with a bottle of soda-water and tried to think we were doing things large. Hopes and ambitions Then we talked of our past and happy days in England. Talked of how we should have been spending Yuletide had we been at home. Talked of our hopes and ambitions when we return to the old country. Seeing the day it was, we had lunch at the YMCA. It was a decent feed for our rations are better cooked and served here than it has previously been possible. After this we took our siesta, as is the custom in the Tropics. Then followed more talk, more soda-water, more cake, chocolates that had been enclosed in my Christmas parcel, tobacco and cigarettes until 4 o’clock when Dyson left.
Read more about 2 March 1917 Read more about 2 March 1917 Read more about 2 March 1917