Friday 6 April 1917
Read more about 6 April 1917 Read more about 6 April 1917 Read more about 6 April 1917 Home Page Home Page Home Page Shipley Times & Express base page Shipley Times & Express base page Shipley Times & Express base page
Once again the paper published a gallery of photos of men whose stories had appeared in previous weeks. This week’s soldiers were: 1 Pte Lee Booth, Greengates (sick); 2 Pte Willie Pickles, Canadian Infantry, (died suddenly at Baildon whilst on a visit to a relative); 3 Pte A Foster, Greengates (awarded Military Medal); 4 Pte Emanuel Smith, 24 Commercial St, Shipley (wounded and fractured limbs); 5 Pte R E Whincup, Carr Farm, Calverley (suffering from trench feet); 6 Cpl J Woodhead, 30 Constance St, Saltaire (wounded).
Cpl Stanley Wright, son of Mr J F Wright of Holmlea, Idle, who as we stated last week is ill in hospital in France suffering for the second time from the effects of gas, writes cheerily home to his father. He says: You will no doubt be surprised and worried at not receiving a letter from me before now. During the last two months we have been extremely busy, hence my sending you only a field postcard occasionally. Silly After the attack, which you no doubt have read in the papers, I did a silly thing. Instead of going to a dressing station straight away after I had got a fair stiff dose of gas, I tried to stick it out and, of course, I collapsed after
walking about two miles. Then I was sent to a hospital and kept in bed for thirteen days. This is my first day up. The attack I refer to was a pretty warm affair. Another chap in my section who has been with me through the whole thing, got seven beautiful shrapnel wounds in his left arm. Two shells Old Fritz dropped two shells in our trench, one on each side of me and blew it to blazes! Lucky there were the tranverses on each side of me. Optimism is the thing out here. The Boches are getting so entirely fed up that they are evacuating many of their most strongly-fortified positions. But you can hardly wonder at it. It is
really great to hear our guns begin their midnight performances. Nobody could withstand them. Wrist watch smashed I cannot vouch for the truth of this story but it reached me from excellent authority. After one of our frequent raids two Germans were brought back down our lines minus caps. One of our officers offered them a tin hat each. Fritz declined with thanks, saying there were no shells coming over our side, but plenty were going over theirs In the attack where I got my dose of gas my wrist-watch was smashed to atoms. I cannot tell you how this was done without giving secrets away. I may, however, say that my wrist got wedged in between two objects of heavy weight. It was lucky that my wrist was not smashed to pieces also.
Dose of gas but it could have been much worse
Military honours were accorded the funeral of the late Pte John William McGarry (left), which took place at the Windhill Cemetery on Monday afternoon. Pte McGarry was 33 years of age and lived with his mother at 22 Constance Street, Saltaire, and before the war was a bricklayer’s labourer. He joined early in the war and had been four or five months in France when he was wounded. Death took place in an Aberdeen military hospital. A number of nephews of the dead soldier are serving with the forces. Pte Wilfred Barnes (right top) has been wounded and is at present at home on sick leave. He is in the Seaforths and before joining was employed at Scott’s Engineering works, Shipley. Twice wounded Another nephew, L Cpl John Willie Barnes (right 2), KOYLI, has been twice wounded. He is 23 years of age and before going to France served at Salonica, where he was buried as the result of the explosion of an enemy shell and narrowly escaped with his life. Two of his companions were buried alive at the time and two others succumbed to their injuries later. On going to France he was wounded but has since recovered and returned to the firing line. Pte Albert Barnes (right 3), another nephew, is married and resides at Lidget Green. He is 28 years of age and is now in France. Pte David Illingworth (right bottm), of Saltaire, joined up at the same time as his friend, Pte Wilfred Barnes, and they have stuck together through thick and thin. Pte Illingworth is in the Seaforth Highlanders and he has been wounded.
Uncle and nephews serving the cause
The many friends of Lieut J Leslie Wood will offer hearty congratulations on his having been awarded the Military Cross for conspicuous bravery in action. Lieut Wood, who is the eldest son of Mr Harry Wood, of Hillcrest, Clayton and a nephew of Captain Moorhouse, recruiting officer at the Halifax Barracks, is the first Clayton man to win a distinction since the outbreak of war. Towards the end of  September 1914 he joined one of the Pal Battalions formed in Bradford and after serving for some time in the ranks as a private he was given a commission in another West Yorkshire Regiment formed in Bradford. He first saw active service in Egypt and was then transferred to France where he has taken part in some of the severest fighting but fortunately so far has come out unscathed. He was in the great July offensive last year. Rather stiff fighting A few months ago he was gazetted a full lieutenant. Quite recently his regiment had some rather stiff fighting and for twelve consecutive hours Lieut Wood and his company were on duty, during which time they managed to keep open the lines of communication thereby performing valuable service. For this feat they received the thanks of the commanding officer and Headquarters staff. By his fellow officers and men Lieut Wood is regarded as a fearless officer, cool, courageous and resourceful under fire and the news of his distinction will be especially welcome by them. Another brother, Sec Lieut Gordon Wood is also on active service in France with another West Yorkshire Regt.
Military Cross for Clayton hero
The death of Pte Frank C Mitchell, formerly of Ingleside Grove, Shipley (given as Saltaire) will come as a shock to many people. He was in the Honourable Artillery Co and has been killed in action after being in the army about six months. Pte Mitchell was well known, not only in the Bradford trade but in the district generally, having married the daughter of the late Mr Joshua Garnett, of the Knoll, Idle. Before joining the colours, he was a stuff merchant in Bradford and was over military age. Tennis player He was the son of the late Mr John Mitchell, who was for many years one of the secretaries of the Bradford Third Equitable Building Society and a brother of Mr Edgar Mitchell, of Rawlinson and Mitchell, accountants. Pte Mitchell was actively connected with the Saltaire Congregational Church and was a well-known tennis player. His death is deeply regretted by all who knew him and much sympathy is being expressed with his widow and relatives.
Shock at death of over-aged soldier
Intimation has been received of the presumed death of Pte Harold Wheatley, son of Mr and Mrs Samuel Wheatley of Holly Park Mill Yard, Calverley and of the West Yorkshire Regt. He was officially reported as missing in July last when hopes were enter- tained that he was a prisoner of war in Germany. Pte Wheatley was single and was employed by the Holly Park Mill Company. He was prominently connected with the work of the Parish Church, being a member of various organisations connected with that body. He took an active part in the Church Lads’ Brigade.
Missing Somme soldier confirmed as dead
More men killed in action
Pte Harold Cordingley, Avondale Crescent, Shipley, the youngest son of the late Mr Abram Cordingley, has been killed in action. He was in the Duke of Wellington’s. The officer of his company has written as follows: “I can only tell you how very sorry I am to lose him as he was one of my most promising Lewis gunners. Please accept on behalf of the company, our deepest sympathy.” Pte E J Arnold of the West York- shires is reported to have been killed in action. He was the oldest son of Mr and Mrs Arnold of Wellington Road, Undercliffe. He leaves a widow and three children. Pte Elliot Adair Currie, eldest son of Mr T A Currie, 76 Fagley Road, Undercliffe, has died of wounds. He was in the West Yorkshire Regt and has a brother serving in German East Africa. Pte George Fuller, 7 Moray Place, Valley Road, Shipley, who was posted as missing on 1 July 1916, is now officially stated to have been killed. He was in the West Yorkshire Regt and leaves a widow and one child, and prior to the war he was employed by the Charlestown Combing Company, Baildon.
Pte Squire Ogden, who prior to joining the colours was employed at Fletcher’s Sauce Works, Baildon Bridge, has been wounded and is in hospital in Glasgow. After serving two years in the army, Bomber William Cox, 21 New York, Saltaire Road, Shipley, has been seriously wounded. He is in the Duke of Wellington’s Regt. Driver Wm Skirrow, of the RFA and 2 Fagley Place, Eccleshill, is ill in hospital. Prior to enlisting he was employed by Mr Collings, as a butcher, at Greengates. Mrs Hudson of 6 Bright St, Clayton, has received intimation that her husband Pte W Hudson, has been wounded by shrapnel in the head and is in one of the hospitals in France. Pte Hudson joined the army in January 1915, in the Durham Light Infantry, with which he has been out at the front about 18 months. L Cpl G Johnson, the Lodge, Ferniehurst, Baildon, who was with the West Yorkshire Regt, has been dangerously wounded. He was also wounded in July last but returned to the front in November.
Latest casualties