Friday 15 June 1917
Home Page Home Page Home Page Shipley Times & Express base page Shipley Times & Express base page Shipley Times & Express base page
Mr and Mrs Charles Halford of Idle are proud of the fact that they have five sons, a grandson and a son-in-law doing their ‘bit’ Pictured above, left-right are: Second Airman Arnold Halford, oldest son, who is in Sussex; Pte Harry Halford, who has just
been home on leave from France; Cpl C Halford, Bradford City Volunteers; Cpl Leonared Halford, Northumberland Fusiliers; Gunner Frank Halford, who is with the ‘Tanks’ in France; L Cpl Alfred Dewhirst, West Bowling, Bradford; Gunner Bert Mitchell, RGA, who is in France.
This is an extract from a long report. More is available in the Men Who Served section of the website Mr Willie P Yates, elder son of Mr David Yates of 70 Bradford Road, Idle, passed away on Friday, death being due to his experiences whilst serving with the forces in France. Although, as was pointed out in an address at the funeral by the Rev W Hemingway Shaw, the deceased “hated war with a bitter hatred,” he realised his responsibility to the country of which he was so proud and immediately after the outbreak of hostilities joined the Public Schools’ Battalion, transferring to the Royal Engineers because of his thorough knowledge of chemistry. Gas poisoning Later he transferred to the Trench Mortar Battery and with that he remained until he was sent to hospital suffering from diabetes, caused by exposure, and the effects of gas poisoning. For some time he was in a critical condition. It is now about a year since he was discharged on medical grounds and he had made what appeared to be a permanent recovery. He took up an appointment with the Sandos Chemical Co Ltd, Bradford, sol consignees for the Sandos Chemical Works, Basle, Switzerland, and he was able to get about until the early part of last week, following his business as usual. In fact he got up on the Tuesday morning intending to go to business but was unable to do so.
His death came as a great shock to his many friends and deep sympathy is extended to his father and brother, Sgt Ernest Yates. The deceased was educated at the Woodhouse Grove Grammar School and at the Bradford Technical College, specialising in colour chemistry. United States After having occupied a post in England for a few years, he fulfilled an engagement in the United States where he remained about three years and was afterwards with the firm of Read, Holliday & Co. He was actively associated with the Idle Wesleyan Church and Sunday School in connection with which his father has been a prominent worker for over half a century. For about ten years he was a member of the choir and if he had taken the advice of those capable of judging in such matters, he would have developed into one of the finest vocalists in the district. A sportsman of the best type, he was an enthusiastic player of tennis and hockey and he was particularly smart as an exponent of both games. In hockey he always preferred being in the front line, attack being most suitable to his temperament, But in whatever game he took part he was popular with fellow players and opponents alike and those who had learnt to regard him as a real gentleman in sport will deeply lament his demise.
Hero who hated war dies from effects of gas
Bandsman Arthur Goldsborough, son of Mr and Mrs Raistrick Goldsborough of 13 Cobden Street, Idle, has been killed in action. Bandsman Goldsborough, who was 36 years of age, joined the forces nearly two years ago and he had been in France for some time. Before the war he was a member of the Idle and Thackley Band. He used to live at Thackley but his wife and four children now reside at Handforth, Cheshire. His officer wrote: “It is with deepest regret that I am writing to inform you of your husband’s death from wounds received whilst carrying wounded behind the lines with the remainder of the band. “I should have written before but unfortunately no one had his address so I had to wait until the arrival of some correspondence from you. I obtained your address from your parcel that arrived today and which has been shared out amongst some of his comrades as he would have wished. “He received practically the full force of a shell which burst near him, fracturing his thigh and hip and he died in the advanced dressing station after lingering only an hour or two.. The remainder of the band are still up there so I am afraid I cannot give you any further details until a later date.”
Bandsman killed helping wounded
Military Medal for saving NCO
The mother of Flight-Sgt Harry Milnes of Cobden Street, Idle, has received notification that her son has a received an accident whilst flying in France and is now in one of the base hospitals. By the same post also came the official announcement that Sgt Milnes has been granted a commission in the Royal Flying Corps and upon this remarkable record of promotion he will have the hearty congratulations of his fellow villagers. No broken bones Sgt Milnes joined the Bradford Pals shortly after war was declared but after a few months training, he received a transfer to the Flying Corps as an air mechanic and by dogged perseverance soon received non-commissioned rank and his final promotion to commissioned rank has been well earned. In a letter to his mother, Sgt Milnes states that he has no limbs broken and hopes after a few days in hospital to be sufficiently recovered to take a few days leave which had been granted to him and which he was to have commenced the day following his accident. Prior to joining the army he was employed as a weaving overlooker by F Andrews and Co of California Shed, Gt Horton. He is connected with Idle Baptist Sunday School.
Mixed news in the post
Mrs Clegg of Baildon Road, Woodbottom, received intimatioin on Sunday morning that her son, Sgt Mark Bell of the RFA, was in hospital in the South England, suffering from wounds in the neck and hands. Sgt Bell joined the army a few months before the outbreak of war and was soon on active service at the scene of hostilities. He has seen much hard fighting and was awarded the D.C.M. some time since for gallantry on the battlefield. A brother, Pte R Bell, was recently slightly wounded and Sgt Bell’s stepfather in in training at Clipstone Camp.
Medal winner wounded
Miss Emily Dickinson of 19 Norman Terrace, Eccleshill, has received the following letter from Captain K Ogston of the Duke of Wellington’s Regt, now in France. “Your brother Frank wished me to convey to you the news that he has been awarded the Military Medal. The award has been given to him for gallantry during a patrol. “His work was excellent and he carried a wounded NCO back to our lines  under very heavy rifle fire. His award was very well earned and I might add that he is one of the best and hardest working men in the company.” The relatives and also  the employees of Smith and Hutton’s, Tunwell Mills, where Pte Dickinson was formerly employed, are naturally very proud that this distinction has been conferred. Pte Dickinson, who is 22 years of age, joined the Dukes in September 1914 and has now been in France 16 months. He was always a good worker and a fearless lad and these qualities have stood him in good stead in the army. His younger brother is in the army in Salonica.
Lieut Ernest Crowther, son of  Mr and Mrs A Crowther of Blakehill Cottage, Idle, who a short time ago was reported wounded and missing, is a prisoner of war in Germany. Lieut Crowther joined the Green Howards as a private and was soon promoted to sergeant. In January 1916 he was awarded the D.C.M. A year ago he was granted a commission with the Bradford Pals and at Christmas was promoted to the rank of first lieutenant. In April last he was awarded the Military Cross for distinguished service in the fireld and was taken prisoner in the early part of May.
Decorated hero captured
Sgt W A Holgate of the Canadian Expeditionary Force was recently killed in action. Sgt Holgate who, before emigrating, lived with his sister at Browgate Baildon and worked for G C Waud of Ferniehurst. He went to France in August 1915 and had been wounded twice, meeting his death in  action on May 23rd when he was out with a working party and a shell burst near them, killing two and wounding some others.
Killed with the Canadians
Incredible few weeks since getting married
To be married, ordered abroad and taken prisoner, not to mention such a trifle as being reported missing, all within the space of five weeks, is crowding events into a small compass Yet such has been the experience of Pte Herbert Lister. And he is only 22 years old, the nephew of Mr and Mrs James Clegg, 9 Saltaire Road, Shipley. Hirst Mills Pte Lister when he enlisted on May 3rd last year was employed by Glyn Thomas & Co, bedding manufacturers, Flock Hirst Mills, Saltaire. He was married in February and ordered abroad in May. Last week he was officially reported ‘missing’ but a card has now been received from him that he is a prisoner of war.
Mr Harry Wood of Hillcrest, Clayton, has received official intimation that his youngest son, Sec-Lieut H Gordon Wood, was wounded in the recent fighting and has since died. The news had a sad sequence as on Monday Mr and Mrs Wood were to have accompanied their elder son, Lieut J Leslie Wood to London when at an investiture he was to have received the Military Cross, recently awarded to him for conspicuous bravery. Sec-Lieut H Gordon Wood was 22 years of age and received his education at Bradford Grammar School.
Brother’s death casts shadow over medal
Crack shot is PoW
Pte Richard Holden of the West Yorks, was reported missing but he has written to relatives at 12 Tunwell Lane, Eccleshill, to say he is a prisoner of war in Germany. He was one of the best shots in the regiment.
Read more about 15 June 1917 Read more about 15 June 1917 Read more about 15 June 1917