Friday 6 July 1917
Home Page Home Page Home Page Shipley Times & Express base page Shipley Times & Express base page Shipley Times & Express base page
At Lord’s cricket ground shortly, George Robey is to offer for sale a collection of bats, balls and other cricket trophies given in aid of the St Dunstan’s Hostel for blinded soldiers and sailors. It is of local interest that the most interesting trophy of all has been presented by J B Hobbs (right), the famous cricketer who plays with Idle. £200 refused This was the bat which he used when he and Wilfred Rhodes set up a record Test Match first- wicket stand in Australia. A private bid of £200 for this has already been refused.
Hobbs’ bat up for bids
A cricket match of a remarkable character attracted a ‘gate’ of over 1,200 spectators, many of whom were ladies, to the ground of the Saltaire Cricket Club, Shipley, yesterday afternoon. The contestants were a team of grey- haired Shipley veterans and eleven of the wounded soldiers stationed at the Sir Titus Salt’s Hospital. A large number of tickets had been sold before the match and as the money taken at the gate exceeded all
anticipations, the Hospital and the Wounded Soldiers’ Comforts Fund between whom the proceeds are to be divided, should benefit materially. Winning the toss, the veterans went first to the crease. They scored 90. Pte Bolton, a soldier who has lost one leg, left his crutch behind him but nevertheless he secured two wickets at a small cost.
The soldiers, with character- istic wit, had given nom de plumes to the members of their team. Pte Bolton (Run Far Jack) was the top scorer with 33 runs; Trooper Jones (Lloyd George) counted 24. Pte Mackenzie was inimitable in the role of Charlie Chaplin. He insisted first of all upon batting with a presentation bat as huge as a shovel. He raised his hat politely to the umpires, bowlers, fielders and even to his partner when he passed him mid crease. Tempest of laughter When clean bowled, he chivalrously saluted the successful bowler, thanked the wicket keeper for his kindness to him and with another jerk of his hat in compliment to the umpire, marched to the pavilion amid a tempest of laughter. The wounded men scored 91 for the loss of five wickets. Sgt Parker (Jimmie Shrapnel) 13, Gunner Doe (Glow Worm) 12, and Pte Mackenzie (Charlie Chaplin) 8 being the other chief scorers.
“Pte Bolton, a soldier who has lost one leg, left his crutch behind him but nevertheless he secured two wickets at a small cost.”
Chivalrous ‘Charlie Chaplin’ amuses big crowd
After a happy and rather prolonged absence of outbreaks of fires, Shipley was on Tuesday night surfeited, the fire brigade being called out twice in rapid succession. The first alarm was fortunately not of a serious nature. The brigade were summoned at nine o’clock to 165 Union Street and turned out under Capt Wilks with the chemical fire extinguisher. It transpired, however, that the cause of all the smoke which had startled the neighbourhood as nothing more than some smouldering rags in the cellar and an end was speedily put to that trouble. More serious, however, was the cause of the second alarm for in this case damage to the extent of several hundred pounds was done. Weaving shed The outbreak was at the Airedale Mills, owned by C F Taylor & Co and occupied by Mr Charles Wm Stephenson, manufacturer, Stoneleigh, 19 Moorhead Terrace, Shipley. That the place was on fire was discovered at 9.30 p.m. by Joseph Brear, a machine overlooker of 30 Melbourne Street, Bradford, who after giving the alarm burst open a door and found the weaving shed in flames. The Shipley Fire Brigade was sent for and Brear in the meantime used sprinklers. Despite the quick turn out of the brigade with their motor engine, the fire had a good hold before their arrival and considerable damage was done to the roof. A large quantity of stock (clothing etc) was damagedd. The supposed ccause of the outbreak was a spark from a foundry close by having ignited the roof.
Spark causes extensive damage at Airedale Mills
When members of Shipley and district branch of Workers’ Educational Association were stopped from taking their planned walk by a rule that allowed only six people into Goit Stock Woods and Waterfall at one time, they quickly came up with an alternative. First they passed a resolution condemnimg the fact ‘when so many of the husbands, sons and brothers of the members of the branch, in common with other of their fellow countrymen were laying down their lives for their king and country, that those who are left at home should be denied the privilege of viewing one of nature’s beauty spots.” Then, Mr Charles Smith of Bingley who acted as guide suggested that the party go via Beckfoot, from Cottingley Bridge (pictured), which was the starting point, and forward to Hallas Brig, returning through the woods and onward via Harden to Bingley. Wooden bridge Beginning at Cottingley Bridge, Mr Smith gave a brief history – as far as is known – of its origin and development from which we learn that in 1664 the old wooden bridge which preceded the present bridge, was  undermined by a great flood and replaced by a stone one in 1684, about the time vehicular traffic was becoming more frequent, taking the place of the old pack horses. About 1754 the Kendall-Keighley Turnpike Act was passed and the
roads generally were widened and improved to allow for Stage Coach traffic. Sand In 1780 the bridge was widenened.* Great difficulty was experienced by the contractor, Barnabas Morvill, on account of the depth of sand in the  river bed and he was considerably out of pocked and appealed to West Riding Justices at Pontefract for compensation. They awarded him £40. The same contractor did the mason work for the three and five rise locks at Bingley. The party then proceeded along the Beckfoot Road, which is the oldest road in the district, running from Westmoreland up to London. There are evidences at Beckfoot Farm of the Order of Knights Hospitaler of St John, the double cross over the door on an outhouse near the farm, also Speight, the local historian, claims that the two stone lanterns at the gable end of the farm building were evidences of the same Order. Long after the dissolution of this
Order the signs of the double cross had to be placed in a conspicuous position on any building which originally belonged to them. As late as 1600 the Court at Bingley enforced this law. Chapel One of the barns bears evidence of  once being a Pre-Reformation Chapel, the choir archway and appearances of a Holy Water Stoop are still to be seen. Beckfoot Bridge: This bridge replaced an old wooden structure in 1723. The present bridge was contracted for by two masons who undertook to build it and keep it in repair for seven years for the sum of £10. Old St Ives was supposed to be a monastry founded by St Ives in the seventh century and was rebuilt in 1759. St Ives – Old Harden Grange was built in 1860; originally owned by the Abbots of Riveaulx. Harden Hall was built in 1615. There were evidences of stone lanterns in this building. At Harden Hall the officers of the Parliamentary Army lodged for about three years during the Siege of Skipton Castle. The siege was raised in 1645. At St Ives there is an old stone table which was taken from Harden Hall on
which Lord Fairfax or his son wrote his dispatches during the siege. Brass Castle is supposed to be on the site of one of the old Roman strongholds which the Romans built near their roads for places of safety to which they might retire in case of a rising on the part of the Celts. Brontes As the party wended their way over Blackhill, Mr Smith dealt with the topography of the country around and the origin of some of the place names, at the same time much attention was given to the flora of the district, likewise the districts mentioned by some of the local novelists such as the Brontes, Halliwell Sutcliffe etc., were referred to. At Hallas Brig it was observed that evidently there were devotees of the rising novelist, Mr W Riley of Bradford, as two of the cottages in this rural retreat were called Windyridge and Netherleigh, a compliment to our local author. Tea was partaken of at Halls Brig and the thanks of the party were conveyed to Mrs Firth for her kindness in catering for the party at such short notice. Mr Smith was also thanked for his services, past and prospective. The party fully enjoyed the beautiful scenery through which they passed, thoroughly satisfied with their ramble which they declared was a great success even if they  did not get to visit Goit Stock Waterfall. *Cottingley Bridge was widened again in 1914
Hastily rearranged ramble sheds light on local history
“At St Ives there is an old stone table which was taken from Harden Hall on which Lord Fairfax or his son wrote his dispatches during the siege.”
Mr Harold Plowright, Idle, referred to the success of the recent ladies’ cricket matches between Idle and Eccleshill and suggested that the clubs should do all they could to foster such matches. It was a capital way of raising money for the charities and it might even be possible to get together a kind of league which would stimulate interest in the games. The President expressed the view that anything which would help to increase the interest of ladies in the game was good for the clubs. Those clubs who had the largest number of lady spectators seemed to be doing the best. On a recent afternoon there were 600 ladies at Saltaire and 400 at Keighley, striking figures, and some of the clubs already made special terms for lady members. Very shortly they would have to insist upon special accommodation on the grounds for ladies.
Cricket needs to attract the ladies
A bowling drive has been arranged to take place on Crowghyll Park at 2.30 p.m. tomorrow. Handsome prizes are being awarded to winners. The proceeds, free of all expenses, are for the town’s Comforts Fund.
Bowling drive
Ernest Platfoot, a pupil at the Shipley Technical, has passed in the Second Division of the 1st Grade in Woollen and Worsted Weaving at the City and Guilds of London Institute Examination 1917
Exam success
Read more about 6 July 1917 Read more about 6 July 1917 Read more about 6 July 1917