Friday 3 July 1917
Home Page Home Page Home Page Shipley Times & Express base page Shipley Times & Express base page Shipley Times & Express base page
It is with regret that we have to record the death of Pte Herbert Bullock of 3 Caroline Street, Saltaire. Pte Bullock was reported missing on July 1st, 1916, and his wife has now received official notification that his death is presumed. He leaves a wife and five young children, the eldest of whom is 16 and the youngest four years old. Bricklayer Pte Bullock joined the army just before the outbreak of war. At the time he was working for Mr Roberts, contractor, as a bricklayer. He went to Malta soon after joining up and was transferred from there to France in June 1916. It is two years since he was over in England. Mrs Bullock has also received a letter from one of his comrades to the effect that along with a number of his company, he was left wounded in a German dug-out and that it was hoped that the enemy would treat him well.
Missing Somme soldier now presumed dead
Driver Harry Holgate (pictured), younger son of Mrs Holgate of Woodbine Terrace, Idle, was in business in Leeds as a botanical brewer and in order to serve his country he has had to make a great financial sacrifice. He is now ‘somewhere in France’ serving under the Motor Transport Army Service Corps. His elder brother, Pte Thomas Holgate, is also in France with the Royal Garrison Artillery.
Made sacrifices to serve
Pte Joe Crossley, the well-known local preacher, who formerly resided at Thackley, has sent a letter from the front to a friend in which he says: “After spending 16 months with the Middlesex Regt, I was transferred into the Queen’s Royal West Surrey’s and was sent to France on February 28th last. We arrived at our destination on March 1st and at once commenced work under shell fire. “This important work being finished, I was transferred for a couple of months to the Australian casualty clearing station where I saw sights that will long be remembered. Winning smile “Subsequently, orders came for me to join my unit again at a place where one of the greatest battles of the war was fought and while employed there, our labour battalion had the honour of being praised by a well-known Commander in Chief. The other week King George and the Prince of Wales passed by my side and I was much impressed by their winning smiles. “Though the great conflict is not yet over, I cannot believe that the priceless blood of my comrades has been poured out in vain. It is my firm conviction that by the sublime sacrifice and devotion shown by our gallant dead, our Empire will in due course, reap an abundant harvest.”
Sacrifices will reap a harvest
Second-Lieut W H Dean, son of Cllr Alfred Dean of Calverley, has been promoted to full lieutenancy, a precedence from June 1st 1916. He joined the Leeds University OTC in September 1914 and was granted a commission in September that year. He went to France in December 1915 and won the Military Cross in September 1915.
Promotion for hero
Pte J W Bailey of the Northumber- land Fusiliers is officially reported to be missing. Pte Gordon Barker, elder son of Mr A Barker of Ings View, Low Baildon, who has been missing since March, has now written to his father to inform him that he is a prisoner of war in the hands of the Germans. Pte S Lancaster of the West Yorkshire Regt, is reported to be wounded.
Update on Baildonians
In commemoration of the third anniversary of the declaration of war on Germany by Britain, special services are to be held on Sunday next at the Shipley Parish Church. The Royal Flying Corps, with their band, and the Shipley Volunteers will attend as also will the members of the Shipley District Council and other public bodies. Eloquent The vicar, the Rev B Herklots (pictured), who is a great patriot, will deliver one of those eloquent discourses for which he is so well
known. In view of the strain, the sorrow and the anxiety of this long drawn out conflict and the heavy demand it is making on the fortitude of the nation, the observance of the anniversary of the war by these special services in church becomes a matter of real value and importance. Determination It is well that now and again the country should be reminded of the
great need for steeling our hearts to bear whatever burdens may await us and re-affirm our determination to continue the struggle until we have attained the end for which we drew the sword. Anglo-Saxons It must have dawned upon most people by now that to a very large extent the burden will ultimately devolve upon the English-speaking race but fortunately Anglo-Saxons are prepared to make great sacrifices before they allow their hard-won liberties to slip from their grasp.
“It is well that now and again the country should be reminded of the great need for steeling our hearts to bear whatever burdens may await us”
Important reminders on anniversary of war
Henry Firth, hairdresser of Saltaire, was summoned at the Bradford West Riding Police Court for failing to register himself. The defendant, who is an American citizen, stated that he had been to the Shipley police station and had registered there in 1915. This was denied by Supt Beaton of Otley who was formerly stationed at Shipley. In the course of cross-examination by the defendant, it transpired that the defendant has given particulars of himself and his address at the Shipley police station but this was apparently for the lodger’s registration and not for the register of aliens. The defendant further stated that he had been at Saltaire about three years. He thought he had complied with the law.
He went to Morecambe about three months after signing the paper at Shipley police station and he signed the register there. Permission to go to Blackpool He was asked if he did not receive a paper at Shipley and when he said no, he was told he would be reported but he had heard nothing. Inspector Foulkes of Shipley said that on July 12th he received a postcard from the defendant requesting permission to go to Blackpool. He found that the defendant had not got a register certificate. Evidence was also given that the defendant had registered on July 12th, the day when Inspector Foulkes visited him. A fine of 40s was imposed.
Saltaire U.S.A. hairdresser fined for failing to register
Two historic pictures have been presented to the public by Miss Bland of Ashfield Road, Thackley, on the understanding that they shall remain at the Idle Free Library. One of them is a steel engraving of the Idle Parish Church and its surroundings as they appeared not many years after the erection of the sacred edifice. On the north side of the church there are The Grange and Church Farm, almost hidden by a cluster of trees, whilst beyond there towers aloft the crow trees which were in the grounds adjoining the residence of Dr and Mrs John Hirst and from which the  domicile receives its name. Pen-and-ink The churchyard was then a very small one and there was a walk up the south side of the church and in front of the vicarage. On this side also there are the schools as they appeared in the ‘good old days.’ The other picture consists of three excellent pen-and-ink sketches of the church and vicarage and the Old Chapel with the lock-up which was demolished some years ago. Mr T B Priestley, the librarian, has promised to take care of these gifts and he may be relied upon to do the same in regard to similar gifts which anybody may desire to present to the institution.
Historic pictures donated  to Idle Free Library
The switchback which has been on land adjoining Shipley Glen since the days of the Saltaire Exhibition, has now been removed, the structure having recently been sold. Another item of interest to visitors to the Glen is the impending sale of the tramway apparatus which is very popular in the summer time, especially at Easter. It is estimated that the tramway has conveyed several millions of passengers.
Glen attraction removed
25 pairs Men’s Boots TO BE CLEARED, Sizes 8, 9 & 10 9/11 a pair, worth 12/6 BLACKWOOD, Pawnbroker, Shipley
About 3 o’clock on Monday afternoon, Mr John Parratt of No 1 Almscliffe Place, Victoria Road, Eccleshill, suffered a serious accident at the Phoenix Works where he was employed as an inspector of aeroplane parts. He was standing by a testing machine when a huge weight, weighing over four tons, slipped a few inches and fell on his right foot. He was liberated with all speed and sent to the Royal Infirmary where his injuries were attended to. The foot is badly crushed and some of the bones broken but the patient is going on as favourably as can be expected.
Weight crushes inspector’s foot
Shipley ready to build when war ends
The Local Government Board have this week called attention to the necessity of local authorities proceeding with the building of working class houses after the war and intimate that they will give substantial financial assistance for a limited period to those authorities who are prepared to move in this direction. The proposals of the Government do not, of course, contemplate the extinction of the private builder but simply recognise that he will be unequal to the great demand which will arise at the end of the war. The Shipley Council were proceeding with a scheme of this nature when the war cloud burst over Europe. Their full scheme involved the erection of between 300 and 350 houses and sanction for the erection of half that number was obtained but the Local Government Board declined, owing to the circumstances brought about by the war, to grant power to borrow the money necessary for the project. As soon as that condition is granted, the Shipley Council will be prepared to go forward with their scheme. It is satisfactory to learn that the Board is prepared to lend financial assistance in order that schemes of that nature may be pushed forward without delay on the cessation of hostilities.
Stole from his employer
Redvers Eastwood, 15, farm labourer in the employ of Frank Scaife, North Hall Farm, Thackley, was charged with stealing 24s from a handbag in the living room of Mr Scaife. Eastwood was brought to Scaife’s farm by the Probation Officer about eight months ago, he having been dealt with previously by the West Riding Court for larceny at Shipley. After evidence was given he was bound over for one month and handed over to his father who lives in Skipton.
Read more about 3 August 1917 Read more about 3 August 1917 Read more about 3 August 1917