Friday 21 September 1917
Home Page Home Page Home Page Shipley Times & Express base page Shipley Times & Express base page Shipley Times & Express base page
Military wedding
Artificer Arthur Herbert Humphreys, who is on board one of His Majesty’s war ships, eldest son of Mr and Mrs J W Humphreys, 42 George Street, Saltaire, has been married to Miss Mabel Shingles, daughter of Mr and Mrs Shingles of Mousehold, Norwich. Apprenticeship The bridegroom served his apprenticeship as engineer with Parkinson’s, Shipley. When the war broke out he was working in Norwich and joined the Navy as an engineer about eighteen months ago. It was during the time he was working in Norwich that he met Miss Shingles and made the acquaintance which has had such a happy consummation.
Pte Lenton Foulds, only son of Cllr Edwin Foulds, chairman of the Clayton District Council, who is serving with the Royal Army Medical Corps in Egypt, has sent some very interesting letters of his impressions of the land famous in Biblical history. Pte Foulds is a young man of considerable promise and before joining the army had won a scholarship for Cambridge University but was unable to take up his residence until after the war. For some time he was a teacher under the Bradford Education Authority and after several attempts to join the army was accepted for the medical corps about six months ago. He was early drafted out to Egypt and has been for a short time in hospital. Writing on the eve of the fourth year of the war he states that he is in a convalescent camp about ten miles from the General Hospital in Egypt at any rate, he states, they take care to get a man fit once he comes under medical care. Country residence These precautions he explains are imperative as complaints regarded as simple ailments in England are often dangerous there. The camp in which they are stationed was formerly one of the Sultan’s country residences and the grounds are miles in extent and laid out with hundreds of pounds worth of fruit trees.
His tent, he explains, is only 100 yards from the beach and he can see the waves rolling when laid in his cot. They sleep without the tent curtain lowered so that they are in the open air day and night. Their outfit consists of blouse made of the lightest blouse materials, sun hat, blue tunic and short pants of coarse material. They have opportunities for boating, fishing and swimming and one of his comrades, an expert fisherman, caught seventeen fish in two hours. Regarding food, they are far better off than most people as the following day’s menu denotes: Breakfast – Tea bread and butter, Quaker Oats with milk and sugar ad lib, and fish. Dinner – Beef and two vegetables (some sort of Egyptian products which taste nice), bread and sago pudding. Tea – Tea, bread and butter. Supper – Tea, bread and butter, vegetable soup (thick), three boiled eggs.
Well might he say that a friend remarked if they did not get better there, they never would. The fact that their abode is a royal residence is sufficient to denote that it is one of the choicest spots in Egypt and certainly on the coast. Gallery There is a spacious gallery in the building, beautifully decorated, and plants and small shrub boxes are dotted about. The gallery looks out into a central court open to the sky. Writing under August 23rd date, Pte Foulds states he saw the Pyramids from a distance. He then goes on to describe a visit he paid to the tombs of the Khalifa of Cairo (pictured). These he states are the men who claimed to be the successors of Mohammed but they have now ceased to have any political importance. The tombs are beautiful in architecture and especially is this the case of one or two of the minarets. Amongst these people he came across one who could speak both French and English and appeared very intelligent. Describing a journey from Alexandria to Cairo he says they passed through one of the most fertile countries in the world. As far as the eye could see there was a carpet of rice, maize and other fields dotted with date palms. The agricultural methods of the people were of the simplest character. Figs and melons were procurable and dates were beginning to ripen.
Right royal treatment in Egyptian hospital
Captain J F Spencer, West Yorkshire Regt., eldest son of Mr H H Spencer, hon secretary of the East Bradford Liberal Association, of Ridgemont, Esholt, has been severely wounded in the left shoulder and right arm and is in hospital in London. He is making satisfactory progress. The first 100,000 Capt Spencer volunteered on the first day of war having just left Eastbourne College. He joined Kitchener’s Army – the first 100,000 – was in the Dardanelles for six months and then in Egypt. He was invalided home from the front at Christmas 1916 with diphtheria but returned to active service in March last. Mr Spencer’s second son, Sec Lieut Arthur Max Spencer, Rifle Brigade, was killed in action last April.
Esholt officer severely wounded
Pte William Raistrick of the West Riding Regt., youngest son of Mr and Mrs C W Raistrick of 63 Alexandra Road, Shipley, has been gassed and is in hospital at Chichester. He formerly worked for the Windhill Industrial Society as grocer’s assistant.
Suffered gas attack
Gunner Sam Gelder, Royal Field Artillery, a winner of the Distinguished Conduct Medal, who has been discharged from the service owing to wounds, has returned home after having taken part in an interesting gathering. Along with a number of other soldiers who have covered themselves with glory on the battlefield, Gunner Gelder received his decoration at the hands of Lieut General Sir John G Maxwell, who paid a visit last week to a Yorkshire training centre. The inhabitants of Baildon had made full preparation to give him a real hearty welcome on his arrival home. A vehicle was sent to Shipley Station to meet him and the Baildon Band had arranged to ‘play him home’ but unfortunately owing to some delay in the train service his arrival was late and meantime the crowd gathered to welcome him dispersed.
Train delay takes the edge off Baildon hero’s return with medal
Pte W H Brook of Baildon has been wounded and is now in hospital at Boscombe, Bournemouth. Before joining the army he was in the employment of his father, Mr Ellis Brook, confectioner, Northgate, Baildon.
On the south coast
News has been received of the death in action of Pte Jim Smith who resided with his sister, Mrs Read, at 10 Union Yard, Albion Road, Idle. Pte Smith was a mason by trade but at the time when he joined up two years ago, he was working at the Holly Park Mills, Calverley. He was a member of the corps whose duty it was to defend the shores of England but he was keenly desirous of going on active service. Volunteering for service abroad, he was sent to France about three months ago. Allotment A zealous horticulturalist, he secured an allotment garden some time before joining the army and did his best to increase the food production of the country. He was 34 years of age. His brother-in-law, Drummer T Read is serving with the colours whilst his nephew, Sgt Willie Simpson has been awarded both the Distinguished Conduct Medal and the Military Medal.
Horticulturalist killed three months after volunteering for service
The gallantry of Eccleshill soldiers at the front has again been rewarded, for the third Military Medal within a very short period has now been made, the recipient on this occasion being Cadet J H Emerson of 12 Acre Lane. The medal was presented on September 8th by Lieut-Colonel Shaw, who is the officer in command
of the Artists’ Rifles, which is at present stationed at Romford in Essex. When the medal was won, Emerson was a corporal in the 9th Leicestershire Regt and he was also granted a commission for his gallant conduct The particular deeds which earned
him this double distinction were read out by Lieut-Col Shaw as follows: “During the attack on Fontaine-les- Croiselles on May 3rd, 1917, Cpl Emerson gathered together a number of men and consolidated their position in the German front line. “Whilst occupying the trench he saw small bodies of men in shell holes which he brought in under heavy fire, further strengthening his garrison. Without casualties “On the order to withdraw, he safely brought back his party without casualties and further directed his men who were making for the front line, displaying initiative and resource. “The following evening he volunteered for a party to fetch in wounded from No Man’s Land and in all, showed a fine example to all the men who were with him.” Cadet Emerson enlisted in the army a year last February and has only been in France since 20th of last December. He was 21 years of age last May and was formerly employed by White, Craven & Waller, shipping agents, Harris Street, Bradford.
Brave action wins a medal and a commission
Quartermaster-Sgt Ernest Parker, who resides at 6 Bromet Place, Eccleshill, has recently been home on ten days’ leave from the front. He has done remarkably well since joining the colours. He enlisted on May 3rd, 1915, and received his first stripe three months later. His next promotion occurred the following January and his sergeant’s stripe was obtained in December of the same year. He reached his present rank in February last and has now been with the guns in France, nine months.
Rising through the ranks
Read more about 21 September 1917 Read more about 21 September 1917 Read more about 21 September 1917