Friday 15 November 1918
Home Page Home Page Home Page Shipley Times & Express base page Shipley Times & Express base page Shipley Times & Express base page
Much sympathy is expressed for Mr and Mrs John Rycroft of Parkfield, Thackley, in their loss of their only daughter, Marion, who died from double septic pneumonia following influenza on Thursday last, at the age of 20. Among the deceased young lady’s cultivated tastes was an inherent love of music and her proficiency was such that she had gained the ALCM. Pianoforte She studied pianoforte, playing under Mr Oliver Knapton of Bradford and singing under Miss Leila Bairstow of Baildon, by both of whom she was regarded as an exceptionally promising pupil. She was qualifying for a medical career and was studying for the preparatory degree examination next month following which she would have entered a medical college. She was a member of the Thackley Wesleyan Church Choir and was often heard to advantage in the solo parts. Her death is naturally a great grief to her parents whose only son, Gordon, is down with influenza and could not attend the funeral which took place at the Upper Chapel Cemetery on Saturday.
Medical career cut short
Doctors and undertakers under pressure
The influenza epidemic continues with little or no abatement and prominent residents laid up include the Rev F Beresford Hope, vicar of St Peter’s, Shipley, who took ill on Sunday. In the Hargreaves Square locality of Shipley there are as many as twenty cases. 105 visits Medical men, undertakers and cemetery officials are all busy and some of the doctors are attending as many as seventy patients a day, whilst one day a doctor paid new fewer than 105 visits. Even on Sundays it is not unusual for a doctor to have 50 or 60 calls. One undertaking firm has made a coffin a day for the last nine days. Funerals are having to be postponed for lack of horses and vehicles and because of the gravediggers’ inability to keep pace with demands. One day a week a cab proprietor had
to work four funerals with one set of horses and men. A start was made at ten in the morning and the last interment was completed at 4pm. A meeting of the Shipley Insurance Committee was held at the Saltaire Institute last Thursday evening where a communication was read from the West Riding Insurance Committee regarding any difficulty that might arise through influenza from the breakdown of doctors on the panel. The Clerk was asked to report to the West Riding in such an emergency. A discussion followed on the best means of avoiding influenza and it was recommended that all places of assembly, entertainment and meeting should be closed.
The Clerk was instructed to send copies of this recommendation to the urban Councils of Shipley, Bingley and Baildon, to the magistrates for these districts and to the West Riding County Council. Leaflet It is to be suggested to these urban councils that a short leaflet as to the best methods of combatting the epidemic and safeguarding the public health be distributed from house to house. With regard to the sanatorium benefits it was reported that the cases dealt with so far numbered 323. A resolution was passed recommending extra nourishment grants and asking the West Riding Committee that the limit of income of a family should be raised to £2 or 8 shillings pre head whichever was the greater instead of the present limit of 35s or 7s per head.
“One undertaking firm has made a coffin a day for the last nine days. Funerals are having to be postponed for lack of horses and vehicles and because of the gravediggers’ inability to keep pace with demands.”
The funeral took place at Nab Wood Cemetery last Friday of Mr Frank W Upstone, aged 25, who died from influenza and pneumonia. A native of Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, he had been a Midland railway worker at Shipley just over five years and he had lodged with Mr and Mrs James Scott at 33 Kirkgate. He had also been secretary to the Trades and Labour Council. Telegram When he died Mr Scott sent a telegram to his parents but the deceased’s mother, sister and brother arrived in Shipley soon after the telegram was despatched having come to see how the deceased was progressing. In a letter the directors of the Windhill Co-operative Society said they had appreciated Mr Upstone’s work very highly.
Family arrived too late to see dying man
Flu victim’s funeral
The funeral took place at Nab Wood Cemetery on Saturday of Mr John Maurice Worth of 26 Alexandra Road, Shipley, who had succumbed to pneumonia following influenza.
Death of curate’s fiancee
Under very trying circumstances the Rev Thomas Chadwick, curate of Shipley, has received information of the death from influenza and pneumonia of his fiancée, Miss Edith Parker of Ashton, near Preston. Towards last weekend Mr Chadwick was confined to his bed with influenza when the sad news was broken to him.
Rosse Street organist succumbs to flu
By the death of Mr A E Moore of Great Horton, the musical world is the poorer. At the age of 17 he obtained the diploma of Associate of the London College of Music and last January he passed the practical portion of the examination for Associate of the Royal College of Organists. Only in August last he was appointed organist and choirmaster at Rosse Street Baptist Church, Shipley. Before that he had held positions as organist of Idle Primitive Methodist Chapel and Wibsey and Otley Road Wesleyan Chapels. He was 24 years of age.
Died just before her wedding
The death on Tuesday of Miss Fanny Eliza Illingworth, from pneumonia following influenza, at the age of 27, is made all the more pathetic from the fact that she was to have been married very shortly to Pte Frederick H Smith, Duke of Wellington’s Regt, who is expected home any day. The bridal dress had been made by the deceased herself and numerous wedding presents had been received. She had been ill less than a week. She was the fourth daughter of Mrs W Smith Prince of the White Swan Hotel, Idle, and the late Mr Seth Illingworth. She was connected with the Idle Primitive Methodist Church and Sunday School and was a member until recently of the choir. Pte Smith is the eldest son of Mr and Mrs Harry Smith of Morningside, Idle. The internment takes place tomorrow at the Upper Chapel, Idle, and will be preceded by a service at the Primitive Methodist Chapel.
Never out of the village for more than a night
Mr Benjamin Bottomley of The Green, Idle, who was 87 last Friday, is a native of Idle and it is a boast of his that he has never lived out of it excepting for a night at a time and that was when he was in business as a butcher. At one time he had the largest butchery business in Idle and at the Idle ‘Feast’ he visited Gisburn and Tadcaster to buy the famous ‘Idle Tide Oxen.’ He remembers visiting Llandudno and Morecambe but not to stay. Woolcombers He was born at Starting Stoop on Idle Moor. The house still stands and the cottage next door was a ‘comb shop’ where the old handcombers worked. Mr Bottomley and all the family, including both parents, were handcombers. Mr Bottomley got married and started his butchery business in 1852 at the age of 21 in the shop now kept by Mr Charles Halford, Bradford Road. He also slaughtered in the same shop. He now sells eggs and milk. He recalls the time when eggs sold at 32 for one shilling. He was formerly a member of the Local Board and at one time took an active interest in the Salvation Army, acting as secretary. Mr Bottomley lost his wife a few years ago and he has four children over a dozen grandchildren living.
Three well-known members of the Saltaire woollen trade – Mr Henry Whitehead, Mr Arthur J Hill and Mr E Gates – have acquired an interest in an Australian mill. Some time ago a company, now registered as the Yarra Falls Spinning Company Ltd was formed for the purpose of starting a wool scouring, combing and spinning works on the River Yarra at Abbotsford, Victoria and as a result of protracted negotiations the three gentlemen agreed to join the project to a substantial extent. More faith The capital of the company has been increased to £200,000 and it is understood that the prospects of obtaining the necessary carding and spinning machinery are at present satisfactory to the promoter of the undertaking. The development is regarded with keen satisfaction in Australia, the hope being expressed that the strong support accorded from this district will induce the Australian government to show a little more faith in the prospect of the wool textile industry.
Saltaire businessmen take interest Down Under
M Lava, a Belgian refugee who has lived at Shipley since he fled from his Ostend home when the Germans captured that port, received the very welcome news on Sunday morning that his wife and young daughter, whom he had given up as lost, are quite safe.
Refugee’s family safe
Lodger found dead
A man named Harry Hextall, a tailor, aged 66, lodging at Wharfe Street, Shipley, was found dead in bed about seven o’clock yesterday morning by a fellow lodger, Harry Clarkson, a labourer. Appearances indicated that he had been dead several hours. He had formerly been in the employment of the Guiseley Co-operative Society.
Read more about 15 November 1918 Read more about 15 November 1918 Read more about 15 November 1918