Friday 22 March 1918
Home Page Home Page Home Page Shipley Times & Express base page Shipley Times & Express base page Shipley Times & Express base page
Lieut-Colonel William Milwarde Yates, Canadian Infantry, fought through the South African War, and received his commission through the late Lord Kitchener. Since then he has been horse ranching near Swift Current, Western Canada, and was Major of the Saskatchewan Light Horse. On the outbreak of the present war he volunteered for service, has been in severe fighting and has been twice buried in the trenches by German shells. Replaced by a rib In November 1916 he was terribly wounded, his face and head being badly shattered. He has undergone some wonderful operations; his nose has been rebuilt and parts of his face have been replaced by one of his ribs. He has had a wonderful recovery of which the specialists have been very proud but he is not yet sufficiently recovered to take up his command. In the meanwhile he is doing special work for the Canadian War Authorities.
Brother had facial reconstruction surgery
A remarkable story of war service by his family is told by the Rev William Yates, Laburnum House, Apperley Bridge, whose seven children are following the flag in various capacities. Above, L-R: Second-Lieut Charles Edmund Yates, Royal Flying Corps, a metal expert, has been in charge of one of the largest metal depots in the kingdom with a staff of 70 but is now at the front again, serving as equipment officer. Miss Alice Yates, the eldest daughter, has spent some ten years in India and is doing her best for the boys from home who are stationed in her neighbourhood of Ahmeduagar. Private Cyril Yates, R.A.M.C. (West Riding Field Ambulance), has for the last 15 months been serving with the guns at the front but has just returned to his own unit. For his bravery during the fighting at Cambrai last autumn he was recommended for the Military Medal and he received the ribbon on the field. Pte Arthur Yates, A.S.C. has also been serving at the front during the past 15 months, driving and carrying up supplies and ammunition for the guns.
Miss Elsie Yates is one of the Queen Alexandra Nurses and was the Silver Medalist of her year. She was matron of the Moss Bridge Hospital for the Wounded at Darwen but resigned on account of a breakdown in health. Recovering, she was appointed matron of the newly-formed Stebenheath Hospital at Llanelli, which is capable of accommodating about 250 soldiers. To show their high appreciation, the
men recently clubbed together and presented her with a gold wristlet watch and the staff’s gift was a silver cake dish. Miss Winifred Yates, now Mrs D Burrow, had charge for about seven years of the National Service League Northern Headquarters in Leeds. On the outbreak of the war she was transferred to the Government National Service and is now private secretary to the Food Commissioner for the County of York.
A family in the service of their country
Mrs W Thompson of 8 Manor Croft, Baildon, has been informed that her second son, Pte Willie Thompson, Duke of Wellington’s Regt., who has been missing since 3rd May last, has been presumed killed on that date. Pte Thompson as a boy attended the Central Schools and his eldest brother, Pte John Thompson has been on active service for a considerable time. Stonemason Pte Sam Pitts, Royal Scots (Machine Gun Section), who was missing since 3rd May last, is now also thought to have been killed on that date. Joining up early in 1915, Pte Pitts trained at Glencorse Camp, Edinburgh, and had been out about ten months. In civil life he was a stonemason and served his apprenticeship with Taylor & Ellis, contractors, Baildon. He was single and resided with his mother at 6 Tong Park, Baildon. He was 35 years of age. Sec-Lieut George Charlesworth, Yorkshire Regt, reported missing on 3rd May 1917 is now presumed to have been killed. The son of Mrs Charlesworth, of Upper Nab House, Shipley, before the war he was in the employment of Sir Titus Salt, Sons & Co Ltd.
Men reported missing now presumed dead
Cpl S T Dodson, the old secretary of the Bradford Amateur Football League, refers in a letter home to the reported death of H Winder, who is stated to be the fourth Baildon Woodbottom player who has fallen in the war, Robinson, Lee and Wells being the others. The old Woodbottom team have hardly a member or a follower left in the village.
Woodbottom FC suffer the loss of fourth player
L-R: Sapper Charlie Files, Royal Engineers, of 48 Marlborough Road, Shipley, has been dangerously wounded in the back, thighs, arms, knees and ankle. He had taken a message and was returning when he was hit by shrapnel. However he is going on all right now but has not been moved from the clearing station yet. He had only been back at the front from leave about four days. Pte J Briggs, Idle, won the Military Medal; Pte H Pratt, Greengates.
At a meeting of the Shipley Circuit Wesleyan Methodist Local Preachers, held on 13th March, a resolution was passed viewing with indignation and alarm the condonance and protection alleged to be afforded by the military authorities to houses of ill-fame in France. It was also stated in the resolution that, as these houses are within bounds and are often mentioned on the passes of soldiers on leave, encouragement is given to vice and temptation is deliberately placed in the way of men who would otherwise never enter such establishments. Liquor The meeting, from the standpoint of Christianity and cleanliness, called upon the Prime Minister, the War Cabinet and Parliament to immediately suppress or place out of bounds such houses, as they considered them a
disgrace to any nation which is avowedly fighting a righteous war. It was also resolved that, being firmly convinced that foodstuffs used for the brewing of beer are practically wasted and can be used to far better purpose, and that the expenditure of 250 million per annum on liquor is the greatest handicap is a serious financial loss to the country, the liquor traffic is the greatest hindrance to the successful prosecution of the war, and they called on the Prime Minister, the War Cabinet and Parliament to drastically curtail, if not entirely prohibit, for the period of the war and during demobilisation the manufacture and sale of all intoxicating drink. They recorded their conviction that if all wines and spirits were prohibited, the working classes would agree to the prohibition of the sale of beer.
“Suppress or place out of bounds such houses, as they considered them a disgrace to any nation which is avowedly fighting a righteous war.”
Keep our soldiers away from houses of ill-fame
Military honours were accorded the funeral yesterday morning at Nab Wood Cemetery of Lieut Edwin Norris Firth, West Yorkshire Regt., the only son of Mr and Mrs George Firth of Hirst Lea, Shipley. His death on 16th March, occurred at the Somerville Hospital, Oxford, from the effects of gas poisoning. The deceased, who was 21 years of age and enlisted in September 1914, had been wounded on two occasions His father is a sectional leader of the Shipley Special Constables. The coffin, which was covered with a Union Jack and floral tributes, was conveyed on a gun carriage alongside which several officers marched. Soldiers marched with arms reversed and special constables brought up the rear. Three volleys were fired over the grave and The Last Post was sounded.
Military honours for  Nab Wood funeral
Mr and Mrs Walter Parkinson of 38 High Street, Idle, have received intimation that their son, Pte Ben Parkinson, Lincolnshire Regt., died of gunshot wounds in a casualty clearing station on 13th March 1918 Nineteen years of age, he joined the colours a year ago and went to the front on 16th January. He was a traveller for his uncle, Mr J Parkinson, and his name is on the Parish Church roll of honour.
Soldier died of wounds
Sec-Lieut Pearson Kirk, duke of Wellington’s West Riding Regt of Shell Lane, Calverley, has been wounded in the leg by shrapnel and is in a hospital at Dover.
Wounded by shrapnel
Lieut Arthur Church of Laburnum Cottage, Baildon Green, died in British East Africa from black water fever. He had won the Military Cross. For many years he had been in the employment of C F Taylor & Co.
Died of fever in Africa
Read more about 22 March 1918 Read more about 22 March 1918 Read more about 22 March 1918