Friday 20 September 1918
Home Page Home Page Home Page Shipley Times & Express base page Shipley Times & Express base page Shipley Times & Express base page
Tribute to fellow flyer and friend
In a letter of condolence to Mrs W Halliday of Fountain Buildings, Baildon, on the death of her son, Sec-Lieut Gladney Halliday, the pilot, Lieut Cecil G Gowring, has paid a find tribute to his memory. “Your son was not only my observer but my friend. We went on our first flight over the lines together and have flown together ever since. Six hostile planes “I had always found him a very good companion in the air and an excellent observer, being very skilful in handling his machine gun. It was during the flight in which he met his death that he brought down his second German plane. “We were attacked by six hostile planes. Your son put up a good fight and I did all in my power to help him but the odds were too great. Their fire was all round us and just as he had shot down one of them and was turning to reload his gun, a bullet struck him and passed through his heart. “The sad news came as a great blow to the squadron for he was very popular.”
Mrs Pennells of 28 Back Stone Hall, Eccleshill, who recently received word from the front that her husband, Pte Tom Pennells, Tank Corps, was killed in action, has now received word from the War Office that  he is a prisoner of war in Frankfurt.
Relief for mourning wife
Many people will remember Mr and Mrs E H Wright of 94 Great Horton Road, Bradford, when they used to live at Victoria Road, Saltaire. They lost one of their sons in action on 17th October 1917 – Bombdr Melville E Wright, RFA – and in the last few days they have been overseas at the funeral of their only surviving son, Lieut H Reginald Wright, West Yorkshire Regt, who died of wounds on Monday. He had been severely wounded on the chest and side on 1st September, the day on which he received his second ‘star.’ Fiancee He was 24 years of age and last week he was expected home to be married to a young lady who has been a sister at a casualty clearing station. Both had secured leave and his fiancée travelled to Wales preparatory to the wedding. Before the deceased officer enlisted on 3rd September 1914, he was employed by the London and Lancs Fire Insurance Co, Leeds, and he was commissioned in the early part of last year. Mr and Mrs Fred Walker of 5 Daisy Place, Saltaire, have received word that their son, Pte E Walker, KOYLI, a Lewis gunner, who was wounded on 3rd September, died in a casualty clearing station two days later. Now aged 18, he went to the front in June 1918. He formerly lived at Baildon where he was connected with the Moravian Sunday School.
Previous to joining the colours he worked at Saltaire Mills. Mr W E Hobley of Great Horton, conducted a memorial service at the Eccleshill Primitive Methoidst Church on Sunday evening to L Cpl Arthur Coates of Idle, who was killed in action on 20th July, aged 25, and also to Bmbdr Frank Waterhouse of Thackley, who died of wounds on his 24th birthday. Organists Both soldiers had been organists at the church and their favourite hymns were sung. At the close of the service Miss Mary Rennison played ‘the Dead March in Saul.’ Rifleman James H Robertshaw, Queen’s Westminster Rifles (City of London Regt), aged 20, of 21 Cavendish Road, Idle, was killed in action on 28th August. Joining the colours on 24th September 1916, he went to the front in Easter 1917, was wounded last October and returned to the fighting
line in Easter 1918. He was employed by G Garnett & Sons, Valley Mills, Greengates, was connected with the Idle Primitive Methodist Church and played for Idle CC second team. Pte Eddie Nelson, son of Mr and Mrs G H Nelson of Ferncliffe View, Greengates, has been killed in action. He was 23 years of age and before enlisting he was in an engineering shop. Pte Herbert Kipling has also fallen. He was the youngest son of the late Mr John and Mrs Kipling and lived at Ferncliffe view. Pte Henry Hirst, KOYLI, aged 18, eldest son of Mr and Mrs S Hirst of 371, Highfield Road, Idle, was killed in action on 26th August. 19th birthday He was a motor driver for the Queensbury Co-op Society and joined the colours on 5th November 1917, going to the front on 26th June 1918. He was connected with the Idle Independent Church and if he had lived, he would have been 19 years of age this week. William Raper Wardman, one of the three soldier sons of Mrs Wardman of 27 John Street, Woodbottom, has died of wounds. Pte Richard Harrison, West Yorkshire Regt, only son of Mr and Mrs N Harrison of Oak Place, Tong Park, was killed on 29th August, aged 18. He joined the colours on 15th February 1918 and went to the front on 18th July. Sgt Tom Hewitt, Canadian Highlanders, was killed in action on 28th August. He had been in Canada three years prior to the beginning of the war and came to England with the second contingent. He was 27 years of age when he fell. His parents live at 181 Dudley Hill Road, Undercliffe. In December 1916 he was wounded in the knee. Pte Victor Hillam, Duke of Wellington’s Regt, of 40 Institute Road, Eccleshill, was killed by a bullet on 26th August. He was 20 years of age and before enlisting was employed by Mr Mark Green, hairdresser, Stoney Lane.
Men who made the ultimate sacrifice
L-R: Bmdr Melville Eugene Wright, Lieut Harold Reginald Wright,  Pte William Raper Wardman, Pte Victor Hillam
News was received on Tuesday of the loss at sea of Mr Norman Rennard, aged 21, only son of Mr and Mrs H Rennard of Pearl House, Birklands Road, Shipley. He joined the navy two years ago and became a wireless operator. He saw varied service on the coast and on the Mediterranean and had had some thrilling adventures. A few months ago he was so close to death that he said what he thought to be his last prayer. He was suffocating in the cabin of a sinking salvage ship. He was asleep when the ship had an accident and began to list. Prayed Rubbing the sleep out of his eyes he was startled at the extent of his danger. His cabin was awash. It was only a matter of a very few minutes till he would be drowned for he could not get out as the cabin door was wedged tight by the ship’s funnel. So he prayed and he thought it would be for the last time. He began to lose consciousness and then one of the ship’s boilers burst and the noise restored his sinking senses and blew the top of his cabin off. Next minute he was free and in the sea and he and seven others had the luck to be picked up by a tug and landed on a small island where the natives were good enough to put new life into them with plentiful supplies of food and fruit. Before the war he was with his father in the business of the Pearl Laundry.
Nurse Hilda Wood, VAD, of Belmont Terrace, Shipley, who is nursing in Boulogne, has received a gunshot wound in the right arm from enemy aircraft but is making a good recovery. Prior to going to France she was at Kimmel Park Hospital, North Wales, and when she left there the ‘boys’ presented her with a gold bangle in appreciation of their ‘esteemed and jolly friend.’ The Shipley Women’s Unionist Association also presented her with a travelling clock in recognition of her valuable services to the organisation.
Nurse wounded
L-R: Sgt Tom Hewitt of 81 Dudley Hill Road, Eccleshill, killed; Pte J A Ingle of 17 Ley Fleaks Road, Idle, wounded; Sec-Lieut B Hick of Moorland Avenue, Baildon, wounded.
Pte E Townend, aged 19, of 178 Leeds Road, Windhill, who was wounded on 25th August, had his left leg amputated at the Northern General Hospital, Lincoln, on 5th September. On 2nd September his mother went to see him after receiving notification that he was dying but he had recovered during the night and was a lot better when she arrived. A woolcomber in Shipley, Pte Townend joined the colours on 30th June 1917 and went to the front on 7th April 1918. One of his brothers has been discharged and another is in the navy.
Soldier’s leg amputated
Mr and Mrs Jack Simpson of 18 Dove Street, Saltaire, have received official information that their eldest son, Pte Arthur Simpson, Duke of Wellington’s Regt, is on his way to a hospital in England with thigh wounds. Fifteen months ago he was shot through the jaw and he returned to the front three months later. He worked at Saltaire Mills and joined up when he was 18. Third time Pte Douglas Cooke, KOYLI, of 1 Baker Street, Shipley, was wounded in the right arm by shrapnel on 20th July and is now in a Gloucester hospital. This is the third time he has been wounded. L Cpl R L Thornton, Dorsetshire regt, of 58 Victoria Road, Saltaire, one of four brothers serving with the forces, has been wounded in the left shoulder. He enlisted in the Bradford Pals at the outbreak of war and this is the second time he has been wounded. One of his brothers, Pte E G Thornton, is with the Artists Rifles.
Local men wounded again
Shell shocked preacher
Wounded in the left thigh while commanding a battery in action on 2nd September, Major Albert Rhodes, R.F.A., is in a base hospital with a compound fracture, his thigh having been struck by a splinter off a shell. Major Rhodes is a son of the late Mr Thomas Rhodes of Hall Royd, Shipley, and he is in the firm of Miles Rhodes Ltd, leather merchants, Shipley.
Hit by shell splinter
Sea finally claims sailor
Pte Joe Crossley, Middlesex Regt, late of Thackley and a well-known local preacher is in Addington Park Hospital with shell-shock and dysentery. Pte E Hansworth, Duke of Wellington’s Regt, of 55 Field Street, Shipley, has also been wounded.
Lieut E Pilgrim, R.A.F., formerly of Shipley and Manningham, and an old Bradford Grammar School boy, was married on Wednesday to Miss Rhoda H Kershaw of Gateshead on Tyne.
Khaki wedding
Read more about 20 September 1918 Read more about 20 September 1918 Read more about 20 September 1918