Home Page Home Page Home Page
Born: 17 November, 1876, Meltham
Died: 27 September 1917
Address: 110 Undercliffe Road, Eccleshill
Parents: James & Caroline
Spouse: Annie, nee Wilcock
Siblings: Hoseph, Charlotte Amelia, Fred Willy, Ambrose, Caroline
Rank: L Cpl
Rolls of Honour: Eccleshill, Park and St Luke’s; Tyne Cot Memorial
Children: Phyllis, Ivy, George, Stanley, Kathleen, Leslie
Regiment: King’s Royal Rifles
Garside Charlesworth
Garside Charlesworth was born on the 17th November 1876 the son of James and Caroline Charlesworth. Garside was baptised at St Bartholomew church, Meltham on 12th September 1880 and his father is shown as a policeman of Little Lever. In 1881 the family were living at 5 Seddon Street, Little Lever, Bolton, Lancashire, and James and Caroline had five children, James is still working as a police constable. By 1891 the family had moved to Blackburn living at 23 Elizabeth
Street, Darwin, and Joseph had retired from the Police Force. Another child had been born to them. Garside married at St Luke’s Church, Eccleshill on 6th March 1909. He was 32 years old, a traveller, living at 3 Fountain Street, Bradford. He married Annie Wilcock who was 21 years of age, living at 7 Undercliffe Road, Eccleshill, and the daughter of Thomas Wilcock a miner. Garside and Annie had six children, Phyllis born in 1909 in Eccleshill, Ivy born in 1910 in Dudley where in 1911 the family were living at 4
Lordsfield Place, Dudley Hill. Garside was working as a traveller in Pianoforte for Sykes and Company. There were a further four children born, George in 1912, Stanley in 1914, Kathleen in 1915 and Leslie in 1917. Garside had served in the South African campaign being present at Nicholson’s Nek and the siege of Ladysmith and re-enlisted at the outbreak of War on 13th January 1915. The family at this time were living at 110 Undercliffe Road. He joined the Kings Royal Rifles Corp. as L.Cpl. R/9028. The Battalion landed at Le Havre on 17th November 1915 for service on the Western Front.
The Kings Royal Rifles were involved in many of the battles fought in this area and Garside was killed in action on the 27th September 1917 during the Battle of Polygon Wood near Ypres, Belgium which took place from the 26th September to the 3rd October 1917. He was 40 years of age and left a widow with six children, all under the age of 8 years. He is remembered at the Tyne Cot Memorial. He left his effects to his wife Annie and children, who received £7.15.8d on the 14th January 1918 and a War Gratuity of £12.10.0d on the 18th December 1919. Researched and written by Jean Britteon, to whom many thanks.
On Friday 15 November 1915, the Shipley Times & Express published an interview with Garside after he recovered from being gassed. Pte G Charlesworth of 110 Undercliffe Road, Eccleshill, who has been fighting with the Kings Royal Rifles, has been home on leave In an interview with our representative he said he fought in the Boer War. He went through the siege of Ladysmith and was also in the engagement at Lang’s Neck. He possesses two medals with bars. After the relief of Ladysmith he was one of the guards to take 5,000 Boer prisoners to Ceylon and his work having been accomplished, he returned and again took part in the war. Gorgeous Durbar From South Africa, he was sent to India and was present at the great and gorgeous Durbar at Delhi. Though he had finished his time on the reserve when the present war broke out, he rejoined his old regiment in January of the
present year and was sent over to France in May. His first experience of the German as a fighting man was at Ypres. There they suffered a terrible bombardment and lost many men, some of them being buried by the collapse of the parapet. A German bombardment was not the firing of a single gun with a rest in between but a continuous shoal of shells coming over sometimes all day and all night long. The wonder was that anything was left alive. From Ypres, they were sent to St Eloi, there the Germans attacked in force but were repulsed at the point of the bayonet. Many of their casualties were caused by snipers who were always busy. His last place was at Armentiere where the trenches of the Boches were only 45 yards away. This short distance between friend and foe lent itself to fighting with hand grenades where both sides worked overtime to gain the advantage. If anyone rashly exposed himself for a
second it was as much as his life was worth. The only safe method to see what was going on was by means of trench periscope. Gas cloud While at Chapelle, Armentiere, Pte Charlesworth was slightly gassed. As he explained, the gas cloud sometimes comes upon them suddenly and though they are all provided with smoke helmets and the chemical solution used is kept handy, they have hardly time to soak their headgear before the gas is on them. He had to be carried out of the trench on a stretcher to spend three weeks in hospital in France and seven weeks in a similar institution in London. Having quite recovered from the effects of the poison, he rejoined his regiment on Wednesday. He spoke in the highest terms of Princess Patricia’s Canadian Regiment and the Ghurkas with whom he had been fighting and also of the splendid work done by our aviators.
Eccleshill Roll of Honour Eccleshill Roll of Honour Eccleshill Roll of Honour Men Who Served Home Page Men Who Served Home Page Men Who Served Home Page