Organisations/clubs: St John’s Ambulance; Women’s Sick Nursing Division
Rolls of Honour: Eccleshill, Park and St Luke’s
Children: Rosalind May, Sylvia Margaret, Francis George
Francis George Heard
Francis George Heard was born on the 26th of April 1864 at Blackrock by Cork, Ireland, the son of Francis Heard and Sarah Bradshaw Loane. he couple had two children Francis George and George Loane born 1866.Francis studied medicine in Edinburgh during the 1880s and on the 5th of August 1889 he received his licence to practice from the Royal College of Physicians, Edinburgh and the Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh. In 1891 he was lodging at 81 Regent Street, Stonehouse, Stroud and working in a General Practice as a surgical medical doctor. By 1901 Francis had moved to Bradford where he would remain. He was 36 years of age and living at Denton Well House, Eccleshill with a housekeeper.In 1903 he married Alice Thornton who had been born in Bradford in 1879 and Francis and Alice would live at Myrtle House, Undercliffe during their married life. By the time of the 1911 census they had two children, Rosalind May and Sylvia Margaret. A son, Francis George, was born in the autumn of 1916, shortly before the death of Francis senior. In his Will he left his effects of £4264.13.11d to George William Thornton, Manufacturer, the brother of his wife Alice.
. This page prepared with the help of research by Jean Britteon, to whom many thanks
On 26 November 1916, the Shipley Times & Express published teh story of Francis’s commission into the RAMC, which tells us more of his family background, his status in Eccleshill and how the newspaper felt people should act towards their doctors!Dr F G Heard, who has been in practice in Eccleshill for 15 years, has volunteered for service with the Royal Army Medical Corps and has been granted a commissionHe has orders to join the Corps on January 1st, 1916.
He is the eldest son of Lieut-Colonel Francis Heard, 3rd Battlion Royal Munster Fusiliers. His mother’s father was Surgeon Major George Loan, who served with Wellington in the 8th Veteran Battalion through the whole of the Peninsular War.Dr Heard has always taken a deep interest in ambulance and has been hon surgeon in the Eccleshill Division for 15 years.Five years ago Dr Heard founded the Eccleshill Women’s Sick Nursing Division. Last year over 70
ladies attended his class. All those joined the Volunteer Aid Detachment and 12 of them have ow volunteered for active service.He is medical officer and public vaccinator for the Eccleshill district but the North Bierley Guardians have kindly granted him leave of absence during the war.Provision madeThis work has been handed over to Dr J W Hainsworth of Greengates who for some years has been his deputy. Dr Heard’s panel is to be divided between several local
doctors and provision is also being made for the care of his private patients.During the absence of medical men who volunteer to serve their country in this way, people should endeavour to lighten as much as possible the labours of those doctors who undertake the additional duties.Surely it is not too much to ask that people should be prepared to suffer a little inconvenience during the continuance of the war
Great regret is felt in the Eccleshill district at the death of Dr Francis G Heard, which occurred last Thursday at his residence, Myrtle House, Harrogate Road.While discharging his duties with the army at Ripon – a post which he volunteered to take over twelve months ago – he was taken ill and was removed to his home at Eccleshill.Dr Heard came to Eccleshill some eighteen years ago and entered into partnership with Dr Richard Aston, the founder of the Ambulance movement in this district.Two years later, Dr Heard was appointed hon secretary to the division and was the means of affiliating it with the St John’s Ambulance movement.Valuable medalsFor a period of fifteen years he carried on the work with marked success and to increase the interest in and efficiency of the division, he offered valuable medals for competition amongst the members.He also delivered advanced lectures to the full qualified ambulance men and encouraged them to enter competitive examinations.
These labours are bearing precious fruit today. Forty members of the division are now on active service with His Majesty’s forces and the sixteen who still remain at home have rendered yeoman service to the 6,000 wounded soldiers who have been sent to Bradford hospitals.Several of the men have been promoted to the rank of sergeant for excellence of service.Six years ago Dr Heard founded the Eccleshill Women’s Sick Nursing Division which has proved to be even more popular than the Ambulance Division.In the last year as instructor, Dr Heard had a class of seventy ladies, all of whom joined the Volunteer Aid Detachment and many of these volunteered for active service.Dr Heard came of an Irish fighting family for he was the eldest son of Lieut-Colonel Francis Heard, who served with the 3rd Battalion Royal Munster Fusiliers.His maternal grandfather was Surgeon-Major George Loane, who served under Wellington through the whole of the Peninsular War.In his youth Dr Heard was a fine athlete and won several prizes for running, swimming and
rowingHe held the public offices of vaccinator and medical officer of health for the Eccleshill district and his kind and courteous treatment of the veterans of labour made him deservedly popular with them.Without paymentThe poor of the district have reason to regret his demise for their needs received prompt and efficient attention and their bills were often settled without payment.The funeral took place on Saturday. The local ambulance men who officiated as bearers were First Officer Harry C Crapp, Cpl Moyley and Privates Charles Parratt, Fred Moorhouse, Fred Bland, Charles Moyley, Willie Rhodes and Albert Smith.The Rev R B McKee conducted the last rites and the body was cremated at Scholemoor.He leaves a widow and three children, the youngest being a little boy three months old.Shipley Times & Express 23 March 1917