Home Page Home Page Home Page
Born: 27 February 1891, Eccleshill
Died: 18 November 1918
Buried: WAncourt British Cemetery
Address: 181 Dudley Hill Road, Eccleshill; later Canada
Parents: Robert and Mary Ellen, nee Wilman
Siblings: Arthur, John
Occupation: Salesman
Rank: Pte
Rolls of Honour: Eccleshill, Park and St Luke’s
Regiment: Canadian Expeditionaary Force
Tom Hewitt
Tom Hewitt was born on the 27th of February 1891 and baptised at St Peter Parish Church, the son of Robert Franks Hewitt and Mary Ellen, nee Wilman of 6 Tower Street Eccleshill. In 1901 the family were living at 33 Dudley Hill Road and three children had been born to them, Arthur Franks, Tom and John Hodgson. By 1911 the family, with the exception of Arthur who was married, had moved to 181 Dudley Hill Road and Robert was working as a grocer and shopkeeper. Tom at 20 years of age was working as a draper’s assistant.
Tom travelled to Canada on the 7th November 1911 departing from Liverpool on the ship Scotian and then returned from St John, New Brunswick, Canada, arriving back in Liverpool on the 22nd of December 1911. For such a short trip he was probably on business. However at some point he settled in Canada as he enlisted in the Canadian Overseas Expeditionary Force as Private 55853 in the 19th Battalion of the Central Ontario Regiment on the
12th November 1914. He was single and 23 years of age and he gave his occupation as a salesman. The 19th Battalion was originally formed on the 7th of November at the Exhibition Park in Toronto, Ontario and travelled to England on the USS Scandanavian on the 23rd of May 1915. By September 1915 the 19th landed in Boulogne for the Western Front. During their service the men of the 19th fought on the Vimy Ridge, in the environs of Transloy – endured
Passchendaele, the German offensives “Michael” and “Georgette”. During this time Tom was wounded but then returned to the front. He was killed in action on the 18th of August 1918 during the Battle of Amiens. He was 27 years of age. He is buried at Wancourt British Cemetery which was opened in April 1917 and used until October 1918.
Eccleshill Roll of Honour Eccleshill Roll of Honour Eccleshill Roll of Honour
. Researched and written by Jean Britteon, to whom many thanks
Men Who Served Home Page Men Who Served Home Page Men Who Served Home Page